Nervous, but Ready ?!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jakamoko, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well, tomorrows my first day in my new job, and I'm pretty d@mn nervous... :eek:

Hopefully it'll be mostly training, learning the ropes and meeting the Team on the first day (oh, and obviously finding the Coffee Machine).

So wish me luck - I'll let you know how it goes ...........

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I was just about to go post a GOOD LUCK thread for you Gav but you beat me to it. So Good Luck mate and I'm sure you'll be fine as long as you don't forget to stir before you serve everyone will love you. :lol:

All the best

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

:lol: @Si Cheers for that, Si - now I know the real secret of your success :thumbleft

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

No worries, Gav. No one expects you to be an expert the first day...or even the first week. After that, watch out! :eek: :D Actually, I didn't feel much like an expert on my last day which was Friday. Contract's over. Looking for work, again. Good luck on the new endeavour, Gav. Knock 'em dead. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good Luck

You take control of the DNS server on Tuesday!!!! :D

6. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Good Luck with the new job Gav :!:

Oh and good luck to Trip with the job hunting - no chances of your contract being re-newed??

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  7. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Gav

Knock em dead tomorrow. If you are anything like me at about lunch time you'll think "What the hell have I let myself in for?" When you change careers it is a bit of a culture shock. Still it's what you've trained for and after all the work you must have deserved this break.

GOOD LUCK tomorrow

AJ :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Nada, Rosy. The interim director wanted to but the city didn't have the budget for it. They're trying to pull the statistics now to justify hiring temps for special projects and/or increasing the staff size but who knows when that'll happen? In the meantime, I've turned in my last two writing projects (of course, there'll be revisions and such) and am starting two more tomorrow. We'll see. Thanks for asking, Rosy.

9. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm sure it will go well for you.

10. Bruins

Bruins Bit Poster

Good luck Gav you will do :super

11. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Good luck Gav, I'm sure you don't need it though :D

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  12. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

Good luck Gav.

The nerves go pretty quick after your first crisis
    (Unless you caused it yourself) :lol:

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Ok, it should be about 3 or 4 your time. You'll get off work in a few hours then commute home, Gav. Report in, guy. What was it like? Tell us all about your first day in IT. Was it a blast? :D

14. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Not sure that is a good thing to say Trip. You know how nervous he is, anything could have happened! :eek:

AJ

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Good thought, AJ. Still, I think Gav and I know each other (and our sense of humors) well enough by now so that my comment won't be taken as offensive. Usually, the first day at work is a combination of relief because you don't have any responsibilities yet and terror because the job seems huge and you don't know if you've got what it takes. When in doubt, proceed optimistically.

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Guys- made it at last :D

So I've heard of being asked to fix a PC at your interview, but to be told to build your PC on your first morning :?: :eek: Still, 9:30 saw me sitting looking at my nice new XP box (classic view, of course)

Other than that, apart from a staff shortage which meant there wasn't anyone to really spend much time with me, I got the honourable task of sorting thru 1400 emails, to pick out and forward any Billing-related issues.

Tomorrow, my "Mentor" will be in to show exactly what I'll be doing, so I should hopefully pick up a bit more then. Hopefully, I'll also get back to a normal keyboard, and not one of those "ergonomic" monstorities I had to endure all day.

So we'll see what tomorrow brings (hopefully me learning a sh1t-load about broadband connections, routers, etc)

Oh, and BTW - thank you ALL for your kind wished above - very touching to read when I got home.

Cheers again, you Guys
    :D

17. Rosy
    Honorary Member

Rosy Megabyte Poster

Finally! Jak - we have all been popping in all day to see if you had posted with news!

Sounds like a typical first day - don't worry I'm sure that the good stuff will come along shortly and that you will get stuck in and love it (well as much as you can love a job anyhow!)

Certifications: MOS Master Instructor
  18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

LOL :lol: About half the day saw me looking over my shoulder to see if it was safe to log in here, but I thought I'd best not risk blowing it this early.

I'll hopefully be able to get some CF time once I'm settled, tho' (like it looks like their goingto let me settle :eek:

:P

19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Get the lay of the land before using their high speed internet connection to browse the web. Wouldn't do to get canned the first week, ya know. Glad it went well. I really like building PCs. One of the last things I had to do before my last job ended was to take three surplus PCs and scavenge the parts to make two functioning PCs. None of them were much to look at or were very high powered but they'd get the job done.

I hope they keep you busy over there so the rest of us can get a chance to catch up to your post count. :) Good job, Gav. Learn lots. Have fun.