Nero slowing down machine!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Feb 4, 2006.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I have just about lost it now!! before when I back up my DVDs Nero doesnt slow down the machine when its writing the image onto the hard drive. however in the last 24hrs its doing just that. I put in a DVD as normal, choose the DVD-copy option in Nero Burning ROM and it slows down the system!! its hogs the RAM, the CPU is all used up and the page file is full too!! I have removed page file but that wasnt a good idea. I have 1.5GB RAM installed so I took out the new 512MB thinking it was that but still no joy. I dont know what else to try. Where as it would take bout 10min to write the image before it burns it now takes 30+min!!! and I am not happy about it at all!! I am using Nero 7 by the way. So if anyone has any idea on how to make it run like it use to without hogging the system resources please let me know...in the mean time I think I will go back to Nero 6 and see what that does. thanks all...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

UPDATE: Turns out it aint just Nero. I have just tried using CloneDVD and the same thing happens. I have shutdown all my protection software (AV and FW). but nothing is making it work like it used to. I am running out of options here...anyone able to help? thanks again people...

basically it dont appear to be application specific...so it could well be hardware related...I have moved the folder of where to save the image but that made no difference either...I am going to try using the DVD writer itself and not the DVD drive to write the image...

3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

its ok people I have managed to sort it out. It seems my DVD/CD-RW drive is telling me something. so I have resorted to using my DVD-RW drive to write the image on the hard drive then swap the discs to burn onto blank DVD from the same drive. anyway we can leave it there. Time to get a new drive methinks (which I was going to do anyway) :biggrin

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Do you know you're talking to yourself Noel? :blink

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

hehe...I know..I do it all the time...I ask something to someone then I sit and think for a bit and I find the answer anyway...but it helps...:biggrin

6. damienj3

damienj3 Byte Poster

I think it helps when you sit down and think about it. Even though you may have asked for help on here, posting the solution you came up with helps as well.

Certifications: mcse
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

padded cell for Noel. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

dont forget the straight jacket wizard!!! hehe...