Nephew taking a BTEC in IT

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Just looking for some info to pass on to my nephew. He's 17 and is looking to do a BTEC in IT and hopefully get a support role upon completion and has no interest in going to uni (his choice) do you think if he is so fixed on the BTEC route he may aswel sit the A+ instead? Possibly spend the year in a customer service role for some work exp whilst studying the A+ or is he just better of taking the BTEC? I have told him till Im blue in the face there are zero gurantees and he has it in his head I have a magic wand to wave and can get him a job but you know what young boys are like so Im trying to atleast point him in the best direction which he would be willing to go.

Advice? Keeping in mind he is a stubborn sod who will either go the BTEC route or A+, I will leave him to learn the hardway but will atleast give him a fighting chance by offering advice.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Modern apprenticeship ?

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hes been applying but posting for IT apprenticeships have been scarce.

4. linuxuser

linuxuser Nibble Poster

For his age group I would recommend having a academic qualification. You can always obtain a professional qualification / certification later on.

Certifications: ITIL v3, IS Foundation
  5. Simon Perriton

Simon Perriton Bit Poster

Hi Juelz

Perhaps I can help. I am the founder of Just IT Training - we have been around for 15 years and we will support about 600 people this year into tech apprenticeships. Is your nephew in London? If he is he could call / email me and I would be able to give him some advice about getting on a programme.

Our infrastructure apprenticeship has A+ and MCP Win 10 in at level 3 and then it can go on to level 4.

I also know other apprenticeship companies across the UK as well that I may be able to introduce him to. So please come back to me if you want to on [email protected]. Thanks. Simon