Negative Scanner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gav, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Hi,

We'd like to convert our old photographs to digital, as a lot of them have become damaged by damp. Fortunately, I had the foresight to move every single negative away and keep them in a different location.

What I plan on doing is buying a negative scanner, using it, then selling it on second hand. With this in mind, I could possibly spend around £100-£200 on a scanner or possibly even more, if it was worth the difference.

Can anyone recommend a device that would do the job?

- Gav

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Can't speak for current models but in the past both Epson and Nikon have had a good reputation.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

what size negatives?

and how many

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

35mm 'filmstrips', and upwards of 1000.

- Gav

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's quite a lot ! :p

I'm sure the Nikon Coolscan will do it for you but at a price ! (used to sell these to semi-pro photographers who had similar numbers to scan).

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I think I'm going to have to look into this a bit more. There are some companies offering to do it for 20p a photograph, which may be easier. I'll work out how long it would take me to do it and multiply it by the minimum wage.

- Gav

7. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

I was going to mention keeping you options open. When scanning you have to remember the cleaning of the files afterwards, if you buy a cheap scanner it proberly wont dust bust very well, if you take it to a photographic printers they usually come back already clean as the machines have very good dust busting software like digital ice or simular I would recomend looking for a lab with an agfa d-Lab as I know this is good, saying that the dustbusting only works with colour and not B/W/.

also the file size you should get for that price of 20p should be around 20 meg at 300 to 400 dpi. prints upto 10x8.

WIP: C++ and A+