need your input lads

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by KrissKross, May 19, 2005.

1. KrissKross

KrissKross Bit Poster

Hello everyone,

I have just made a decision that I might or might not regret. I have decided to resign from my current position, and study full time for the next 5/6 months.
    I have been working in a warehouse environment since arriving to the UK - I am a French citizen- did not plan to but things got in the way and I stayed for 3 years.
    I just got into the certification games, passed the n+ and the 210 exams, and planning to sit the 215 in the next couple of weeks.
    My questions are as follow: is this the right decision to make? How long does it normally take to achieve the mcsa or mcse if you study full time? And when along the line should I seriously start looking for a job? I know that people circumstances are different, and that people learn at different paces, but I am just looking for advice so please fire away, I would appreciate it.
    I got the finance side covered, and the girlfriend is supporting me and I am up for the challenge.

Thank you :)

Certifications: N+, 210,215,216
    WIP: 218
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As far as how long it takes to earn an MCSA, here's a link to a thread discussing the subject:

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread1362.html

You would be wise to have a study lab available to you where you can practice what you learn. Studying from books will probably not be enough to help you reach your goal.

As far as whether or not this is the right decision or not; that's tough for anyone else to answer but you. Your girlfriend is providing the financial support so that lets you study full-time. The assumption is that once you get your MCSA, you can get a good paying job and pick up the slack. The flaw is that, from what you are saying, you have no IT experience at all. I'd be reluctant to hire someone to work on my network based on a set of certifications and no experience.

Since you've passed the Network+ and 210, you might want to see if you can get even a part-time job or some free lance contract work supporting PCs or networks. That, plus the certifications may help you achieve your goals more effectively rather than a certification alone.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. KrissKross

KrissKross Bit Poster

thanks tripwire for the prompt reply :D .
    few points to clarify, I have got 2 years IT experience back in france .
    I have a lab setup, 2 DC with ad, and few desktops.
    The girlfriend is not supporting me, I am supporting myself :)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My apologies. I was confused by your statement:
    . Sounds like you are in pretty good shape. I still maintain that you are the only one who can answer your own question, though. Good luck on your pursuits. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. KrissKross

KrissKross Bit Poster

sorry about the confusion tripwire I meant emotionally :D

6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I kind of did the same thing a couple of years ago. I was working full time, and studying with the open university on the side. Things were going fine, but moving really slowly. I decided that the only way to go forward was to chuck my job in, study like hell, then find a new job before the savings ran out.
    It worked for me, but it is a really scary decision to make when you are supporting a family and paying a mortgage!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD