Need Your Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by anniemac, Jan 20, 2008.

1. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

As you all know, I am trying to find a job in IT. My question, is it 'easier' to find the job contract or permanent. I was phoned the other day by an agency who saw my CV on the net to put me forward for a helpdesk job £12.87ph. I naturally said yes and was amazed as I don't have any hands on experience. She didn't think this was a problem. I did a bit of browsing and it seems there are jobs out there looking for a contract 'junior' 'trainee' Once found do these contract jobs get renewed? The agency said yes but I suppose if I have the magic 6 months experience the world's my oyster. Your advices please

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello anniemac

In most help desk roles it's all hands on experience, you say you have no hands on experience, but you have Comptia A+ which counts for a lot. You know you way around a computer and the other part to help desk is good customer service. Even if you did have some hands on experience in a help desk you would still need to be trained because every company has different systems.:biggrin

Hmm £12.87 Ph that's not bad for help desk, one of the guys on HD where i work is on £6.50 ph. He doesn't know much about computers but has excellent customer skills, easy and very friendly to talk to people on the phone.:biggrin

As for permanent and contract, well most people start on contract which leads to permanent. I say give it a go, plan to stay with them for 6 months, you may decide to stay or move on.

Just remember, believe in yourself and you can do anything in life!

Good luck!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well most people without experience are generally better off with a permanent job if they can get one as they will get many more benefits including training hopefully.

I would say this is not really a contract, it is an agency temporary job, that rate is basically minimum wage for IT. Most contractors wouldn't look at anything less than £25 p/h as an absolute minimum.

Contract work involves tendering your expert services, you take a risk like any freelancer or business, this means you must charge more when you are in work to cover periods without work, you must cover sickness, pension, training, travel and accomodation, as well as other expenses etc. Contract rates are therefore generally well in excess of permanent rates.

Contracts can be short term one off or long term rolling, it depends on the job.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

As a veteran of the "contract-to-hire" wars, I can give you a definite answer of "maybe" as far as "renewal". Contract jobs are sometimes a way for a company to "test" a new hire to see if they'll fit in or not. They hire you for a six-month span for instance, and at the end of that time, they can either let you go, renew the contract for another six months, or do a direct hire so you can be a company employee instead of an employee of the contract agency.

As a technical writer, contract work is pretty common, so I've gone through several of them and at present, am a "contract-to-hire" for a software company. I've been there about 2 1/2 months and hope by the six month mark, I can convince them them I'm a "keeper" and get hired directly.

If that's the work available for you as your "break-in" to the IT field, go for it. Sure, it lacks a certain amount of security, but as I think most people will agree, there really isn't such a thing as "job security" anymore. Anybody can be made redundant at any time (alas).

My opinion...go for it and good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... as others have said, a contract gig can be used to help a company see if a new employee has got what it takes. If you do, they'll often keep you full-time. However, contract gigs can also be used by a company just to fill a short-term need.

If you don't have an IT job now, I'd recommend taking whatever you can get, contract or not. Before the contract ends, try to get a sense for whether the employer will keep you on full-time. If you don't get any confirmation, start looking well in advance of the end of your contract.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!