NEED URGENT HELP! Deleted network adapter IPs from a subnetted network?

Discussion in 'Networks' started by zr79, Dec 16, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

I had a crashed server so i did 2 things, disabled both onboard nics in the bios and removed a stick of memory, it turned out to be the memory so i re-enabled both nics in the bios.

After logging back on i relalised i had cleared the tcp/ip setting in the nic adapter through disabling them in the bios, actually i had to reinstall the drivers as well(thought they would be auto picked up, but this wasn't an issue).

So it windows 2000 sbs server, and it's set up so that a cat5 is connected from the router to the one of the servers NICs and another cat5 from the other server NIC to the switch. I think this is done so as to be able to use the server to monitor network traffic i.e send everything through the server.

Now the person who set this up has used 2 subnets one for the WAN side of things(192.168.1.2) and one for the LAN side of things(192.168.16.2) i found this info written down - so fact.

So as far as i can see all i have to do is hardcode both adapters, an ip, a DG, and dns ips, but i am a stuck here, i just don't have it.

I thought maybe just set the LAN adapter and ip of 192.168.16.2, 255.255.255.0, a DG of 192.168.1.1, but not sure about dns ips, i would also need an ISP dns ip if i want to get onto the net.

Any help, please, realy stuck and need it down asap.

Certifications: A+
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What are the client IP settings? DNS would normally be the LAN IP of that SBS, with the ISP DNS configured on the server. As a temporary fix till you get yourself sorted you could use a public dns server (8.8.8.8 is googles)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Good idea about the public DNS, would sort out the net side of things anyway.

So for NIC 1(that is connected direct to the router) do i need to hardcode any IPs in tcp/ip is it just NIC2.

IP=
    DG=
    DNS1=
    DNS2=8.8.8.8

hmmm

4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

What are the IP settings which the client machines are getting from DHCP ? are they picking up NIC2's IP as DG and DNS?

If that is the case the NIC 1 should just need an IP in the same subnet as the the router interface it is connected to. I am unsure exactly how this seems to be setup, but i imagine it has a default route set up to route internet traffic from the LAN out to the router.

Without full details of exactly how traffic is supposed to flow etc it's hard to give definite answers on what is required.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I think (not sure about that) that DNS on NIC's should be pointing to SBS box and then SBS's DNS Server should be set up (forwarders) to your ISP's DNS/public DNS.

Taking you've changed only NIC's configuration DNS server should still work as before.

But as I said I am not sure about that.
    Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help soon.

From what I see on SBS I have access to DNS settings on NIC connected to the router doesn't make any difference.

@danielno8: Not sure if that's what you asked for but on 2 NIC SBS setup I would expect one nic to be connected to router and nothing else and the other one for LAN. WAN NIC gets all internet traffic flowing through SBS box taking advantage of it's build-in firewall and then passes it on to LAN NIC that is connected to switch and thus the whole LAN.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

With no settings in tcp/ip, i.e both ip and dns set to auto detect, then the clients pcs get an ip 192.168.1.xx, such as 192.168.1.15, there defaulf gateway is the routers ip, i.e 192.168.1.1, cant remember what dns they got i think it was 192.168.1.1 also.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, first of all your IP Addresses need to be on the same subnet:

Is the SBS Server acting as a router? If not then following these steps.

1. Go to any client machine and do ipconfig /all
    2. Write down the settings and then add them to your SBS Server, except the Newwork IP Address, so the Default Gateway & DNS Servers
    3. Check your DHCP scope and see what numbers the IP Addressses start at.
    4. Next download and use any IP Scanning Software which will let you know the IP Address of everything in your LAN, as I take it from your previous posts, nowt is documented and you don't know what other IP Addresses are being used. Make sure you DON'T give your Server an already assigned IP Address and make sure its on the same subnet.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Clients should get SBS box address as a DNS setting through DHCP
    Also if you haven't reconfigured anything maybe correct setting are in DHCP server. By that I mean if DHCP server was configured to give out SBS box's ip address as DNS server, this IP would be LAN ip of SBS.
    WAN NIC has to be on the same subnet as router.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If you go into the DNS snap-in on the server there will hopefully be a static A record for the server name and that will tell you what the IP address of the server was previously. Configure the LAN NIC with that.

Any documentation on this network? It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, oh wait a minute, it just did! :biggrin

All joking aside, you should have a word with your boss, why did he dump you with all of this?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Thanks for help, worked it out, actually it's a very well setup server, all traffic goin through server, the solution was actually exactly what i thought it should be i just needed to reboot server and client pcs for effects to take place.