Need to create image of my programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I need to make a disk image of the programs i have installed on my computer, the disk image i am using contains a copy of my programs but it also has Windows XP professional how can i restore only the programs i have installed on my computer from an image onto my new computer. I need to use the copy of Windows XP that is on my new computer.

Jose

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware you can't for the vast majority due to registry keys, shared DLL's and other files that applications create/rely on when they are installed. I also imagine that a lot of applications won't allow this as well as it would circumvent say licences.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  5. michael78

thought it looked familiar, why you starting a very similar thread?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Professor Falken, why is it that you ask for advice which you are duly given but then choose to ignor that advice?

You were told the other week how to use imaging apps, it even tells you how to use the imaging apps on the websites and quel suprise it does in the instruction books too but for some reason you do not take the advice given.

I know you went to jail for a crime you didn't commit but even Mr T can take instructions :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Professor-Falken

I needed the information in a hurry, so i posted a message while searching for the answer is that wrong? Arent we here to help each other? I was able to create an image with the information that was given but now i needed new information. Who told you i needed I went to jail for a crime that i didnt commit?

Jose

10. Professor-Falken

Because the information is similar and i like I told green bruce lee i needed the information in a hurry.

Jose

11. Professor-Falken

So tell me I cant ask a similar question without offending anyone here on this forum i think that is ridiculous. I was able to create a image of my hard disk but I needed additional information and so i wrote and asked this forum thinking it was ok, so where did i go wrong. Please make it clear to me.

Jose

12. greenbrucelee

I have never once since I joined CF seen you help anyone. All I have seen you ask the same questions over and over again.

Dont you remember? you beat up and old lady but really didn't and your lawyer told you to plead guilty :D

Sorry if I sound harsh prof but you were given the advice the other week how to use acronis or nortons ghost which will image your system

It tells you what to do on their websites too, read your previous thread the advice stands.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Dude - it wasn't a similar question - it was the same question. If you can't retain information that you were given a week ago, maybe you need an nvram upgrade?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Professor-Falken

I repeat I need the answer in a hurry. To it me it was a different question because because I needed aditional information on the same topic.

15. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

It's a Rephrased Question for the people who got disorientated when reading the Original Question.

16. greenbrucelee

Get acronis true image or nortons ghost.

Install it
    press image or backup
    Select what you want backed up or imaged
    Select where you want the image or backup to go

Simples

17. michael78

To answer your question you can't just restore specific applications from an image. It's all or nothing.

18. greenbrucelee

This

but you can backup data instead of imaging the whole thing.

19. michael78

I think he is asking to restore say paint shop pro from one PC onto another by using a restore method like ghost. I'm pretty sure you can't as Ghost wouldn't put back the registry entires, shared files etc unless I'm wrong (has been known but only rarely :blink).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  20. greenbrucelee

yeah you cant back up applications like paintshop or word but you can back up data associated such as a letter or a picture but as for imaging its all or nothing.