Need some important information about ITIL.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Special Brew, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Special Brew

Special Brew Nibble Poster

Hey everyone,

i've been applying for jobs, and most require ITIL V3. I was thinking off getting this.
    Is it a Cert or something?

Anyways.. I would like to self study, but really don't know what book to buy??

I have never used ITIL and know nothing about this, But need to get to know it so i can apply for jobs that require that too.

Any information about the ITIL that i would find ifnormation would be greatly appreciated.

** how long does the ITIL take and is it what jobs are asking for? **

Thank you,

Special Brew!!

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think you need to decide what area you want to be in first. I havent seen any help desk jobs the require it or any IT tech jobs.

Google is your friend http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILV3QualificationScheme.asp

Doing any cert by self study takes aslong as it takes the individual to master the concepts might takle you a few weeks might take you a couple of months, might take a year.

You should be going for the A+ and N+ before anything else anyway.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Special Brew

Hi, Thank you for the reply,

I understand your point, though it's all confusing, some say apply for 1st line jobs, then i see a few asking for ITIL, then i say about this, then it''s not right to do?

I have the A+ book but cannot afford this yet, unemployed..

So i really don't know what to do ? =\

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. greenbrucelee

See the problem is certs are designed to show your experience level. But before doing any certs you need to decide what you want to do.

Do you want to work on a helpdesk helping people solve basic issues? Then A+,N+ and I suppose ITIL will help you get into this

Do you want to be an IT Tech doing a bit of everything? then A+,N+ and MCDST and when you have the job and have experience you can do further certs like the MCSA,MCSE will help you progress your career (but dont do the MCSA and MCSE until you have the relevnat experience.

Do you want to be a network admin or a systems engineer usually with this path there is no qualification or cert that will get you this job it has to be worked towards by doing the first two careers I mentioned and being good at what you do.

Usually the easiest way into IT is from helpdesk and working your way up but it isn't the only way.

Certifications dont automatically get you a job you have to put in the effort by applying, applying, applying. Do not make the same mistake I did and apply for jobs beyond your experience level. Go for the most basic job you can find get some experience and then work your way up.

It took me 8 years to get into IT and if I am not mistaken wagnerk took 5 years and he now lectures in IT and has a shed load of certs to backup his experience.

You should start with the basic certs i.e A+ and I know for a fact that you can do the A+ through the job center as my friend did it he had to do the ECDL first though. I am not sure if it was all free though.

6. Special Brew

thanks for the replies, Appreciate it.

I'm sorry i keep coming back with questions, i'm annoying myself having to keep posting on here.
    It's because as i learn more, i ask more?

There are good things and bad things about mixed advice - It's all different, some say something, some say others, which then confuses me.

So, let's say i'll follow this list..

Job Search*get a job*
    A+
    N+
    MCDST
    Other Advanced Certs

To be honest mate, i've asked my JSA advisor many times about the A+ and says they don't do it.. then he eventually said they did, he then put me on the course, and the course company had changed so after a few days at this stupid course doing pathetic maths & english exams, they tell me they don't do A+ anymore..

Thank you,

Special Brew!!

7. greenbrucelee

you need to be looking for 1st line or trainee helpdesk jobs/ trainee IT tech jobs. They should usually require the A+,N+ and MCDST and not any advanced IT certs. 2nd line and 3rd line will most likely require advanced certs.

Trainee IT tech roles usually just require an interest in IT a perhaps the odd basic IT qualification or cert like NVQs, GNVQs or the A+N+ and MCDST.

Don't worry about coming on here and asking questions thats what CF is for.

8. Special Brew

I have only been applying for these jobs you mention, but hear nothing as of yet.

Alot require experience, which is a precious as gold as it seems..

I don't have any certs at all? I'm studying BSc (hons) degree in ICT, but this means nothing..
    I can't afford the certs, and some may say get a job, even in different jobs, i am searching alternative jobs too Warehouse Op etc.. I just don't wanna lose my ambition and be stuck in a dead end job.

So, assuming i can't find a job, and don't have certs, what are my options???

*** i'll be sending letters out tomorrow just like you advised me to do.. The letter stating i'm applying for my first IT job, and ask about trainee positions etc ***

Thanks again mate, :cheers

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps a part time job would help while looking for that first IT job?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. zet

zet Byte Poster

You're an undergraduate? Doing ICT? Which uni are you attending? Trust me, a degree will help as long as you get a 2.1. The job market sucks right now. I'm on about 12-14 jobsites, I've applied for so many jobs it's not even funny. I've got a A+, BSc, and an MSc. I've had one interview so far but I didnt get the job because and I quote "while he is bright he is not neccessarily interested in the financial services". This was for the position of IT Analyst and it involved mainly 1st line and 2nd line support.

From what I've seen getting into an entry level IT job is the hardest because a) they're limited b) you get 100+ applicants for one job (look on reed) c) graduates with qualifications d) requirement of experience.

My advice is stick at it. Maybe the market will improve. The easier roles to get into as there are far more jobs for graduates/juniors is web development or programming.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
    Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  11. greenbrucelee

You just need to keep trying and not get disheartened I took a 3 year break from applying because I got so pissed off. IT is extremley difficult to get into. It may take you a very long time but take this onboard, being in a job (any job) looks better to an employer than someone who is just on the dole hoping to get into the job he/she wants.

This is a mistake a lot of people do these days, someone wants to be a plumber so they dont do anything until a plumbing job comes their way even if it never does.

I have only ever been on the dole once in my life and that was for 6 weeks, I took a job cleaning the bogs in an old people home, then I worked as a kitchen assistant and I have worked in an abotoir.

At my last interview I was asked why I worked in the abotoir and my answer was, its a job it was better than doing nothing and that was a reason I got took on. Because it showed that I wasn't someone who thought I was owed the career I wanted and I wasn't someone who was willing to lie down and be a defeatist.

12. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

The OP brings to attention another obsticle for anyone trying to get into the IT industry...

...the clueless numptys who write the job decriptions, the number of 1st line support roles (paying less than £13k) i've seen advertised where MCSE or ITIL is a requirement, and CCNA is desirable:dry. I think they just do a google search for ICT qualifications, then list them all without any thought as to what they stand for.

On the other hand the industry seems to be crying out for web developers and .net developers at the moment (but paying less that 1st line support jobs or meeting national minimum wage:rolleyes:). I feel that doing a few years as a (undervalued) web/app developer would be most people's best way into ICT at the moment.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  13. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

Disagree 100%, degrees arent the be all and end all.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  14. zet

zet Byte Poster

I never said they are the 'be all and end all'. I said a degree would help him.

*edit* And I was replying to his comment on this: "I don't have any certs at all? I'm studying BSc (hons) degree in ICT, but this means nothing.."

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  15. Special Brew

Thanks for the replies people, i've read and took in everything thats been said.

I will apply for differnt jobs, and hopefully have my break in IT in the future.
    I will keep appying for IT jobs event though it's all full of dissappointment.

I will let you guys know if anything changes, =]

Thanks again,

Special Brew!!