Need some help migrating DC's

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Methodman85, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hello Everyone,

I've recently been assigned the project of migrating our 2 corporate domain controllers to new hardware (currently our main's running on a PII system, and the backup on a PIII)

Strangely enough the MCDST doesn't cover such a procedure :oops:

I know this probably isn't something I should be attemping at my level but I don't really have a choice.

I know there's a whole wealth of knowledge here, and people who could do this in their sleep so I was hoping to get some help. Especially things to watch out for.

Thanks!

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say (more experience to follow :D )

Well worth watching the podcasts - they make a domain from scratch.

1. Join the new server to the domain as a member.
    2. Run DCPROMO
    3. Transfer the roles.
    4. Make new server a GC
    5. Setup any services such as DHCP, WINS, DNS

Courtesy of ITidots.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Edit; Tried dcpromo'ing down a DC with Exchange on VMWare - it won't! You need to sort Exchange out first, then dcpromo if appropriate.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Thanks Boyce,
    Is there any way to "Transfer" DNS and DHCP, or do you have to re-set them up manually?
    Thankfully Exchange isn't running on my DC's.

4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

you can export and import dhcp, but ive not needed to do this for DNS. How is the DNS set out in the company? (someone will ask this later :)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Done this a few times now, the first time I had to migrate 3 domains into one which was fun and games!
    I assume you are running a server 2003 domain just now? If so that should make things slightly easier.

1)Add the servers to the domain as member servers.
    2)After the reboot add DNS with add\remove components.

3)Give the servers suitable IP addresses.
    4)Run dcpromo (follow the on screen instructions to add a DC to an existing domain)

5)Reboot and then configure the DNS (in the properties of the NIC) to point at itself
    6)Wait a few minutes and go into the DNS console. There should be a full copy of the AD integrated zone.

7)You now need to migrate all the FSMO roles onto the DC. This article explains how to do it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801
    8)After that you need to configure the new server as a global catalogue server. This article should help.. http://www.petri.co.il/configure_a_new_global_catalog.htm
    If you are running one domain then all DCs can host a global catalogue.

9)On the new DC install the Server support tools http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892777 and the open the support command line shortcut and type netdom query fsmo. All of the roles should now be listed as being hosted on your new DC.
    10)Add the second DC in the same way but no need to worry about FSMO rolls.

You may need to migrate other roles off your DC such as DHCP. To push DNS traffic to the new DCs change the primary and secondary DNS entries to point at the new DCs in the DHCP scope.

11)On the old domain controllers run DCPROMO and then demote the servers. You will get a warning that they are global catalogue servers but no need to worry as your new DCs are hosting it now.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Excellent post. 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  7. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Sparky you are the man!
    We're actually still on a 2000 domain though.
    Any extra steps required because of this?

8. Sparky

Yeah, you need to run forestprep and domainprep in the root DC before you start.

Linky:
    http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2003_adprep.htm

After that just follow the steps I already posted above.

Any probs just let me know. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Sparky

One other thing, if you dont have a note of the directory services restore password then reset it on the 2k DCs before starting.

This is a link for 2003 but I think its the same in 2k

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322672

10. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Awesome,

Believe me you'll be seeing a frantic desperate post by me on here if there's any issues. Things work in slow motion here though, it'll probably take my manager 2 months just to get around to reading the migration plan I'm drawing up.

Thanks again Sparky!