need some feedback on...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, May 30, 2008.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

3G network or vodaphone network and Compaq brand.

last night my mate told he me he was going to get a free laptop from PC world:blink

Free...I can't believe it!:dry

Anyway it seems PCworld and the carphone warehouse are offering a special deal at the moment. When you sign up on 3G broadband you get a free laptop.:blink

The laptop they are offreing for free with 3g is a compaq c765 with an intel Celeron c550
    I tried telling my mate last night it's not even a dual core, but he didn't seem to be bothered!:(

What I would like to know is:-

Q) has anyone used 3g or any mobile network for internet surfing on their PC/laptop and if so was it better than ADSL?

Q) What are compaq like with regards to performance and customer service?

Q) Has anyone actually bought one of these deals through 3g or even AOL?

I've got until Tomorrow when he is going down to PCworld to buy one. The guy at Pc world seemed to think 1gb would be enough to run Vista?:dry Also he pointed out that Compaq are a leading brand and better than HP or Acer?? But I'm sure I read somewhere that Compaq had been bought out by HP because they wanted the IPAQS?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not sure how good 3G is but a work mate got the free laptop from AOL with that offer, and those laptops are crap but he thought it was good.:blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Has your mate checked to see if there is 3G coverage in his area?

HP did buy Compaq a while back - Compaq is now HP's domestic customer brand :(

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

We used to use the Vodafone 3G cards for our mobile users and have recently moved over to O2.

The Vodafone one's weren't too bad but could sometimes be hit and miss. I've not had a lot of positive feedback regarding the O2 ones so far.

I would definitely opt for a wired ASDL connection where I can. I would also get your mate to check the rates and inclusive d/l limit for this deal because mobile network operators will fleece you silly when it comes to charging for MB of d/l data.

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

:hhhmmm that's what I thought, but he doesn't know a thing about computers or even how the internet works. He just wants something that's cheap and easy to use.:rolleyes:

Can't help thinking he's going into this with his eye's shut!8)

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

That's a good point DD:thumbleft I did check the website for him and 3g is covered for that area. Although I can't help wondering why is it.. if he's on 3g network with his mobile and has to stick his head out of the bedroom window to get a signal what will the broadband be like:blink:rolleyes:

Cheers DD, thanks for the advice:thumbleft

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

thanks stoney:thumbleft:biggrin

Have a good weekend everyone!:biggrin

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Ahh don't worry he will be the same as my work mate, he will have a virus in no time and it will be screwed.

I smell £50 coming my way heh heh :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Nah, its similar to normal mobile phone reception, indoors will be fine as long as he has decent/good coverage within the area.

10. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Agreed, we use them at work and they are hit and miss signal wise. We've had people run up huge bills on them 2.

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  11. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

We have a couple of customers with Vodafone, they can get up to 7MB connection speed. The thing you have to remember is you only get about 3GB per month. They only use to check e-mail on the road, and if you go over your limit it gets very costly.

Also talking to work mate there are a lot of catches when signing up and it's 2 year contract he said.

Would not run Vista on laptop with nothing less then 2GB memory.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

We use the Vodafone cards at work. They are handy to use when you cant get an internet connection and also the device installs the Vodafone software automatically when you plug it in so its easy to deploy.

Personally I would use an ADSL connection if it’s available and use the 3G when you are working remotely or something like that.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs