need some direction....

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by thisisalex02, Sep 9, 2005.

1. thisisalex02

thisisalex02 New Member

Hey all..total noob question. I have a 3640 with four ethernet interfaces. right now i have my cable modem going into FastEthernet 0/0 and i do a show running-config and it shows the ip, but my question is this. How would i set up dhcp server on this router? i have a 1924 but i want the 3640 to do all the routing but im so lost.... Any help will be appreciated..thanks

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have absolutey no idea! Sorry!

If I paid more attention on my cisco coure maybe I could help, but at the minute its going over my head!

Sorry! :(

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Ok, I've done some thinking, and I have no Idea if this is right, but here goes anyway:

Apparently the latest versions of IOS support DCHP automatically, so it should be set up (well sort of) already.

I'm assuming that you want to link the 1924 into one of the 3640's ethernet ports, so that the 3640 is your default gateway, yes?

So what you actually want to do is set up a default route from the 1924 so that it sends all outbound traffic to the 3640, yes?

To do this you would have to set the default gateway on the 1924 to be the IP address of the 3640, this is done by:

Switch (config)#ip default-gateway X.X.X.X

then save you configuration.

As I've already said, I have no idea if this is what you're after, or even if it's correct.

Hopefully one of the Cisco guru's will be along shortly to help!

8)