Need some clarification

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 21, 2009.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am building a pc for a customer and he want it heavily overclocked.

I know that disabling EIST or Intel speedstep technology causes the cpu to run at its full speed all the time even when doing things like browsing the net.

What I need some clarification on is would there be a sigificant increase in temperature if EIST etc was disabled?

I am just wether or not I need to charge hime for extra fans although I have put in 4 already.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is it not possible to up the spec of the PC so you dont have to worry about overclocking the components?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

no this how the customer wants it.

It is already fast on its own anyhow but its a Intel Core i7 965 3.20Ghz cpu an Asus board. THe customer has asked that I make it as fast as possible I reckon I'll get atleast 4.4GHz out of it. I was just worried about the heat if I switch of the speedstepping.

4. Sparky

Ahh, I see. Well heat is always going to be an issue here, is the customer going to be ok with 4 fans blasting away? :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

yep he will be happy aslong as the fans have speed controllers on them. Will stopping the speedstepping cause more heat than just an overclock though?

6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

personally i wouldnt. I would give him the machine as is and let him overclock it himself. If you blow the components whilst attempting to overclock it, im guessing you are going to have to foot the bill on replacements.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I don't think it would get hotter, it would just run at a constant temperature. Just make sure you use some good thermal paste (Zalman make some great stuff that comes in a bottle like nail varnish that you can 'paint' on) and a good heatsink.

Are you sure you can get 4.4Ghz on air? Sounds risky to me.

8. Sparky

According to Intel the point of EIST is to dymanically change processor voltage which will therefore reduce heat and power.

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/203838.htm

I would run some tests after doing this on the CPU temp before giving the PC to the customer.

9. greenbrucelee

The parts are covered by the person I am working for as overclocking is his thing so if I do damage any components from the order I get then I get replacements so luckily I don't have to pay if damage is done.

Well on my system I get 4GHz on air with aboslutley no issues, I even had my rig running at 4.09 at one point but decided to scale it back. I have loads of Artic sliver 5 and arti clean.

I'll have a go and put it through its paces with Prim95, Orthos and crysis :)

10. greenbrucelee

will do, I better get started as the customer wants it on Tuesday :)

11. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Beware many i7 mobos warn of overvolting the memory as it can damage the CPU.

Core i7 processors have a 'turbo boost' feature allowing mild automatic dynamic overclocking out of the box. Its likely the processor will auto overclock itself by 5-10% anyway.

More thermal compound is not always good.

Personally the extra fan noise would not be worth the extra few CPU cycles.

Real world performance is likely to not be CPU bound.

If I could choose between fast or stable I'd pick stable. Last thing you want is it crashing on sunny days...

If he's a true die hard oveclocker I'd expect him to want to get the most out of cheaper components, probably by watercooling.

No point ruining an £800 CPU simply to get a higher score on some synthetic benchmark.

12. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

If he is such a die hard OCer why the heck isn't he OCing the rig himself? I thought the point of OCing was 1) to get more out of what you pay for and 2) the sheer fun of pushing your rig as far as it can go for the sheer joy of doing it. I wouldn't push this thing to 4.4Ghz without water cooling either, too much heat using just air at these temps I think it would be too unstable.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I'm personally with Fergal on this one.

If he wants a fast machine, buy faster parts. If you overclock it and it goes *pop* you can bet your bottom dollar this guy will hold you accountable, and the parts won't be covered by warranty due to the "tinkering".

Sorry I can't offer more technical advice - but I'd just hand over the box and say 'ta-dah' and leave it at that.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. greenbrucelee

am not sure why he isn't doing it himself, I just do what I get :D

15. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

do you have an explicit agreement (read: written) that you are not accountable for fried components due to overclocking? if not, expect to be held accountable and be very cautious.

Most pc builders (private too) point blank refuse to overclock. they provide a machine within spec. if you want to overclock, thats your choice.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  16. greenbrucelee

Yep it's in my contract I have already built 4 overclocked machines whilst I have been doing this extra work and one of them had the ram go pop. Nothing got said.

As it happens I have now built it and got windows and prim95 installed I have got the cpu to 4.21 but can't get it any higher. I'll be running prim95 later into the night to make sure it's ok.

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Glad you got it sorted GBL...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  18. greenbrucelee

Thanks. It seems pretty stable, I have been running prime95 for 6 hours now and no errors my max temp has 55c

19. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

What overclock settings did you use ?

20. greenbrucelee

got it slightly faster

have the FSB at 448 x 9 = 4032MHz
    Voltage at 1.219v
    ram voltage at 1.9v ( ram speed @ 1064 native speed 1066) 5-5-5-15 2T timing
    EIST disabled
    C1E disabled
    FSB termination voltage Auto
    Everything else on Auto

This cpu has unlocked multiplier but I had to set myself a limit as it seems it would be easier to break :)