Need some anti-spam software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stoney, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Happy Friday!!

I've been asked to look into an anti-spam solution for work due to the large volume of SPAM we have started to receive recently.

I have been researching some hosted spam filter solutions and also 3rd party software providers. They all seem pretty similar and have a number of claims of how brilliant they are.

As I am still to find an unbiased, comprehensive review of what's available, I thought I would turn to you guys for your professional opinion.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good/reliable anti-spam software or spam filtering comapnies?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated 8)

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

At my old place (Geez im hearing that a lot) we used These

Not 100% sure how it was configured, but I know that we used a combination of our own white/blacklist and several third party spam rating providers. This blocked about 90-odd% of our spam. There were some false positives but we either had to add them into our whitelist or, when they were marked as spam from a third party company, tell the sender to contact the spam company to get their status changed.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

We have 2 at work our external one is hosted by black spider I think and our internal one is MIME sweeper. Mime sweeper is ok but you have to monitor the queue and release they often catch email conversations too either because they have used a naughty word or they have just sent to many mails to each other.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

SurfControl is a good one. Here

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I used Sophos PureMessage at my old place of work. Did the job :).

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - is it? Not in my (not so) humble opinion Prof! SurfControl's anti-spam software is pretty cruddy compared to some of the more recent offerings. They haven't really moved heavily into the reputation-based anti-spam approach that most high-end vendors use nowadays - concentrating on the traditional signature/pattern matching approach. Spam has moved on, but it seems SurfControl has not! They should stick to what they're good at - web filtering.

That said, I run SurfControl's EMail Filter behind my bulk anti-spam solution (IronMail) because it has a nice, simple interface and is very good for policy creation/enforcement. Now that I've fine-tuned IronMail to the way I want it, I don't bother with many of the anti-spam features of SurfControl - although it does still pick up the occasional image-spam that IronMail misses (proof that Defence In Depth is an excellent approach to combatting spam).

Whatever approach you choose, you will be paying lots of money for it, so get the vendors or a reseller in to give you a demonstration. I use PeaPod as my reseller - they're excellent - but there are literally hundreds out there you could go with and all of them should be able to quote you dependent on your needs.

One more thing you might like to consider is an open-source solution based on SpamAssassin. It won't be easy to set up, and you will probably end up paying an anti-spam consultant just as much money as you would a reseller for a paid product, but once it's up and running and you have the confidence to look after it yourself, you won't have to pay any ongoing licensing costs. Of course, this may not be the solution for you - and it will require a LOT of work on your part to set it up and maintain it, but it would be an excellent opportunity to learn

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. Donmac

Donmac Bit Poster

Take a look at GFI MailEssentials / Mailsecurity. In my company we receive 120,000 spam messages a day, the above products stop 99.99% and the few spam mails that do make it throught can be dumped in a public folder that updates the filters to make them smarter.

As with most software you will need to configure it correctly to get the best out of it.

Cheers
    Donmac

Certifications: a few
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Ex2k7, Win2k8
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am no expert Zeb, but I do know we use it and it works well with spam filtering. You mentioned other solutions that look interesting, I will take a look at them.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA