Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Samo3411, May 7, 2013.

1. Samo3411

Samo3411 New Member

hi guys
    I need some advice on how to get your first IT job I have two entry level certification Net+ and CCENT and I am still studying for my CCNA .
    but I don't have experience in IT apart from some home lab.
    my current job is a costumer service role, and most jobs ask for few years experience in the field and minimum CCNA.
    I just want to know what type of job I can do with the knowledge I have .low wage is not an issue I just want put my foot in the ladder.

thanks .

Certifications: Network+ CCENT
    WIP: CCNA ICND2
  2. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to my world around a year or two ago. I can pretty much relate to this well.

You probably want to find a Junior role, that is basically for learning role. I was at the same stage when I got my first networking job, had a CCENT in my hand and from there got into network security. Not exactly much routing and switching but you pick up so much experience on the job.

A year later, have 3 cisco certs / juniper and checkpoint. Don't worry about getting ICND2 for now, I would concentrate on finding a job to put all that theory from ICND1 into practice.

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

I would probably give up on the CCNA for now as it means absolutely nothing without experience.

You would be looking for a first line role, probably answering telephones and doing simple things like resets. If they are looking for a CCNA and experience, then you are probably setting your sights too high. Customer service background would be really helpful though, as you understand and demonstrate the talking and listening part of the job.

Just my two cents.

Last edited: May 7, 2013