Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by J1mmyc, Mar 18, 2011.

1. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

HI all,i went for my first I.T based job yesterday building computers for the military and normal desktop computers but am abit concerned about the money and future job prospects they said the salary is 16k which isnt bad a good drop of my current job salary but gotta start somewhere i suppose i the its just the future part i wanna know what kind of jobs in the future i can get with this type of experience as i dont wanna go there for nothing ideally i would like to get onto networking and server repairs is this a good starting block

Certifications: A+,MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Any IT job is a good starting block. You don't have to work there forever...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi
    16K is not bad for a starting salary in I.T. If you really want to get into I.T and can afford to take the gamble, then I would go for it. Once you have your foot in the door you should be able to look into other I.T options available to you with them. But you obviously have to proove yourself first. Its a long and hard road to get to your ideal position in I.T, but thats the same in most carears. I took a carear change a couple of years back it was a big gamble but paid off for me, Iv moved a couple of steps up my ladder and my pay has gone up a bit, Im still a few grand short from what I used to earn but the main thing is I am happy doing what I do now and glad I took the plunge :p
    Goodluck and congrats

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

From building computers and installing the operating systems and drivers you could end up networking systems together anyway or you could go for a job after a while as a hardware engineer or field service tech since a lot of problem will come up time and time again that you have dealt with when building computers plus you will get more exposure to other stuff.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I started on 10,000 - i'd of killed for 16k! lol

But - 5 years down the line and i'm doing well for myself, and i've got a solid 5 years experience - don't discount it straight away.

If it's really what you want, then go for it - it's not a quick or easy process, you'll have to work your nads off, but like TheITCrowd said above - foot in the door with a first job, you can then look there for another progression up, or even look for a job elsewhere once you've got that experience.

If you want to do repairing of servers and kit - get the as much of the relevant experience in that field as you can.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  6. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

thanks for the replys im also looking to continue doing some more exams what exams do you recommend i start doing maybe msce im also looking to do the upgrades for the MCDST 70-621 which i can use an elective later on in mcse and also i might do the comptia network +

7. greenbrucelee

The MCSE is for people who have 12-18 months experience as a systems engineer so no you shouldn't do that. However the upgrades to the MCDST are fine to do.

8. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

should i do 70-621 and 70-682 and then network + or should i just do network+ as i dont really wanna get involved with 1st line support jobs etc

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  9. greenbrucelee

either or but I would have said do the network+ before the MCDST.

10. J1mmyc

J1mmyc Bit Poster

i was going to do network + first but i seen the mcdst was to be retire end of march then they changed it to june i think im gonna do 70-621 then do network +

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Byte Poster

I thought the MCDST was being retired in June?

Certifications: N+
    WIP: A+ Security+ ITIL V3
  12. greenbrucelee

It is but it was originally March.