1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice with 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by lnixon, Jul 8, 2008.

1. lnixon

lnixon New Member

Hi, i recently took and failed my 70-271 exam obviously i am very disappointed but also slightly confused as a lot of the questions covered in the exam i had never heard about or even read about in my study books, i paid alot of money to do this course through ICS learning and have checked that the book is the correct one, how can i avoid this happening again if i retake the exam???:rolleyes:

2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

Don't rely on one source of material only, imo. Have you actually set up a PC so that you can implement what you've learnt on the course?

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Which study book did you use?

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree, never use one book.

For my A+ I had the Mike Meyers AIO and PC Technican street smarts and some cramsessions PDFs.

For N+ I am using the Mike Meyers book and the Groth book.

When I get to the MCDST I will use the MS Press books and possible some CBTs or something else.

All this coupled with practicing the concepts, I already have virtual pc with a virtual network set up.

Hopefully doing all this will help me pass :) Some people think these certs are easy but there is a lot more to them than people think.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. lnixon

lnixon New Member

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses i used the Exam Cram books and the Thomson Course Technology book and CD-Rom (which i got when i signed up for the course)..
    What books do you suggest i should look into buying??

6. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Exam Cram is good, but in my view more for the experienced users. I would recommend MSPress Self Paced Trainingkit and Sybex books.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  7. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

I'd recommend the MS Press book over all the other materials I used, I also used the Sybex book, more for revision really and I also used the CBT nuggets videos. I'm a visual person so this helps a lot.

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270,
    WIP: ITIL V3