Need Job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by spy22, Sep 2, 2008.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Hello all,

I have recently completed my CompTIA A+ and I am going to start job searching! I am fully aware that this is a very basic qualification therefore I seek advice on the sorts of jobs I should be attempting to aim for as I lack experience and need to get my foot on the ladder.

Any information or advice would be amazing thankyou.

I have seen IT support jobs etc but with my lack of experience I guess even a basic job like that would maybe be too big a jump just yet and I would fail at the interview stage!?!?

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, mate, you've burned that bridge.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

excuse my ignorance? what do you mean sorry?

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably best to aim for helpdesk and first line support jobs just now. Do you have any other work experience? If you have worked in any other customer facing type job then that will be a big plus point on your CV.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Haha that was a cheap shot, will give you that one! I cant believe something I said in anger over 8 months ago would be held against me after a perfectly polite post. Have you never said anything you maybe shouldnt have said in anger?(Just for the record I apologise as I am not here to offend)

But considering you are one of the most well respected and qualified personnel on here, I find that most disgusting and immature but that you would waste your energy even writing a sarcastic comment when at the end of the day we come here to seek advice and share knowledge, not to get into petty arguements.

6. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks Sparky, will have a look down that route

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

That's a bit of a cheap shot too m8 !

Have a look around and search through recent posts - plenty of advice has been given on the topic of entry level jobs. No need to keep the sniping going.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. BosonMichael

Well, see, that was the point, eight months ago, when you accused me of being biased and irrelevant, when all I was doing was trying to help. Had you not done so, there'd have been no "petty argument", as you put it.

I'm offering no sarcasm. You told me what you thought of me 8 months ago, and from then till now, I've yet to receive an apology. If you truly believe that what you said was said merely in anger, then a sincere apology goes a long way towards repairing that bridge.

Sure, I've said things in anger - everybody has. But when I find myself to be wrong, I apologize.

Although you didn't admit to making a mistake about calling me biased, I will take what I can get, and thank you for your apology.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. BosonMichael

Well, here's my olive branch.

Depending on the job, no, it's not too big of a jump.

Any IT jobs that don't require experience are great. These jobs include, but aren't limited to, help desk tech, field service tech, 1st line/level 1 tech, PC repair tech, and sometimes, even desktop support tech.

Now, that's not to say that all desktop support tech jobs or help desk tech jobs are classified as "entry-level". If an employer requires experience, then by definition, it's not entry level. By all means, you can apply for them... but you'll often get beat out by those who do have experience.

Because of the fierce competition for entry-level IT jobs, getting your first IT job can be difficult, so don't give up.

Sometimes, it's not about what you know, but who you know. The newspaper and online job search engines are great in finding job opportunities... but EVERYONE uses them, so competition will be even more intense. So whenever possible, use any existing contacts and friends you have in the IT industry - they can tell you when a job is opening up (or is about to open up), often before any job listing is posted! You can get the inside track on the job by proactively submitting a resume to a company based on "inside information".

10. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks alot, will begin searching :)