need info

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by s1, Dec 7, 2007.

1. s1

s1 New Member

hi every1.
    I`m new to this. thinking of computeach coarse. had em round, steered me 2wards networking side,complete novice.would like any feedback from compteach students and wht they think of the company and methods they use. any info i can get really .. thanks.:unsure :unsure

Certifications: none.
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

What career plans do you have?

Do you Work in IT yet?

Most certifications can be done by self study and determination, there is no need to pay ££££££££££s to get you certified by a training provider that has probably given you the wrong information like "do this course and you will get a job paying 30 grand a year" its all BS.

Give us some more info and the people on here will guide you better than someone who just wants your money

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self-study.

Don't believe the pitch made by training schools that you should get a bunch of certifications so you can get a high-paying job in IT... it simply doesn't work that way. If you're just starting out, go for the A+, and start looking for an entry-level IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums.

I agree with what's been said above, you can do a lot certifications by studying by your self instead of paying money over to somebody who is going to make do the same thing by telling you to study books that they provided you with.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. Peggsta

Peggsta Bit Poster

Hi an welcome.
    As said above, self study highly recommended. I signed up to 3 courses earlier this year (A+,N+,Cisco) with skills train and found out the hard way that i've chucked a lot of money away that I could have saved by doing self study!!!:ohmy

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+ N+ CCNA
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I Concur with what already been said, except I would also point out that these cold sales man who make out they are not in it for the money, just doing you a favour:rolleyes: are just that. Be very careful before signing anything with CT. I originally wanted to do a MCDST course with them but they tried to sign me up for a MCSE. Which is £5000, luckly I found CF and went the self study route.:biggrin

I guess it depends on what you want and when you want it and can you afford it??:biggrin8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. anniemac

anniemac Bit Poster

Yes I agree, be careful. I also signed up with Skills Train and passed my A+. Hope to pass Network+ next month. I could have done it self study but have found them ok.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Network +
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

I also vote self study here. One thing about many of those classes is that they may just rush you to cram and memorize, but not retain. Of course nothing replaces hands on experience. I've always been a self study person though. I think there is more molding to the individual that way, as opposed to classroom based training.

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822