Need help with self-learning (MCDST, MCSA, MCSE)

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by scbond, Oct 9, 2008.

1. scbond

scbond New Member

First of all I'd like to say hi, so, hi. Sorry I haven't put that in the new members section but I would prefer to get help ASAP!

I'm currently about to embark on a course with Joskos IT but I was a bit skeptical and always have been about companies where they ask you to fill in an online form and they'll call you. I was totally right to be skeptical as I searched Google and came to here. Over the past month or two I have been ready through articles and a couple of posts here about Joskos and other IT training providers, so thank you for the information that I have picked up!

After reading the tutorials I am pretty much certain about turning around and self-learning. The certifications I would like to do are MCDST, MCSA and MCSE but I'd also be interested in CCNA and CCNP, but they'll probably come in later years for me if need be. I think you can tell that I am going for a career in networking, this is always something I've enjoyed doing from home and I decided to take it further and do it as a job I'm sure I'll enjoy!

What I'm here to ask is, and don't worry as I plan on sticking around, I want to do the three Microsoft certifications but how can I fund this alone? I'm almost 20, don't have a bean and currently unemployed, though I have been applying for helpdesk support jobs. For the course at Joskos I applied for a Career Development Loan with Barclays and was accepted by them almost instantly as I hold a good current account with them. What are my options for getting the certs I need and want without a job and without a CDL, which I'd have to cancel?

I really appreciate any help in advance!

Thanks.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My advice is to get a job, any job you can and start to self study or take evening courses at a local college one module at a time.

Do not take credit, do not plan many years of multiple certifications into the future.

Evaluate all the options, if you are bright consider University and government grants and bursaries.

Look for apprenticeship schemes run by companies in your area.

Consider multiple jobs or part time jobs, think outside the box.

Look around the forums and on the internet theres plenty of career and personal development advice.

Best of luck ! :D

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

Also don't consider the MCSA,MCSE or CCNA until you have the required experience. Those certs are for people who already work in IT and have a good amount of experience in those relate areas. Having a cert such as the MCSE and no experience can actually damage your career chances as employers know that someone with an MCSE will be able to hit the ground running and require little or no training to do the job.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

^ What he said. Looks like we're starting a chain! :D

You don't need expensive training courses. Get yourself an A+ book (preferably the A+ All-in-One Sixth Edition by Meyers) and study. After you pass the A+ exams, pursue Network+ and MCDST, and no farther until you get some real-world experience under your belt. That'll put you on the right track!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. scbond

scbond New Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. Somebody (not here I'm afraid) has suggested that I go with Network+. He said that although A+ is very good, it's not needed by myself if I want to stick to networking. I think I'll chase up a couple of jobs first, see if I can get a work trial out of them and hopefully secure a job.

I had considered ICS (www.icslearn.co.uk) as they are more of a college just offering courses with more realistic pricing but I've just learned that they might not offer CDLs as a method for financing.

6. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

^ What he said. :wink:

This is exactly what I'm doing now. I've got the A+, and I'm busily applying for jobs while I wait for my first MCDST book to turn up. Gonna do the N+ after the MCDST because I want to wait for the 2009 version.

From there... dunno... see what I feel like. Though the Security+ is a front-runner. Microsoft's 4-letter-words (MCSE/MCSA) are a way off for me yet... and a lot of hard work. This isn't all bad though as it'll give us a chance to see how Microsoft fares over the next few years. If their next OS is as unpopular as Vista, I might not bother! (So far the most notable thing I've read about Windows 7 is multiple-point touch-screen - and this actually puts me off, as I'd need to buy new, no doubt pricey-as-hell monitor, and then have the stress of the kids putting their fingers all over it! Come on Microsoft, something useful!)
    Maybe the Linux+?!

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If the next workstation OS is as unpopular as Vista, then you're STILL going to have companies running Windows XP. And more importantly, it's not the client OSes you'll need to ultimately be concerned with, because the MCSA/MCSE deal mostly with servers, not workstations. And Server 2008 seems to be a good 'un.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!