Need Help With Entry Level IT Resume

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Leave the references section there, just add a hobbies section and describe what they are. If you are worried about your cv length, don't because 2 pages is fine to have. A lot of people who applied for a position at where I work had their CV 2 or more pages long.

If you know basic stuff about office or office specific apps include that in your cv but indicate that you know the basics of those apps so that the employer knows where you stand.

Also note that a lot of office stuff related to knowing how to do something can be found on Google. So if you are worried that you might not be able to perform well with office just look it up online which is what I do at times when I don't know something.

Edit: Keep in mind that employers want to hire someone who is willing to learn new stuff and with that an employer will invest in his/her education by lets say pay for a certification, or have them attend a seminar, etc.

In my CV I added a section called training and career goals where I elaborated on what I want to do ultimately. Which I think is very important.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We might approach things different on this side of the pond, but when I'm looking through stacks of resumes, I could care less what your hobbies are... it's just more stuff on your CV to distract me away from what I want to see - what you can do for my company... not what you do on your "own time".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For sure BM I agree with you 100%, I think that just adding that section might show the employer that you have a life and not just playing with computers all day long.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I just realised I don’t have my age on my current CV, lol!
    The reason I suggested it is that it may help explain why there is little information on the CV.

There is only one job listed therefore if the candidate has just graduated uni\college and only had one job then fair enough. On the other hand if the candidate is 50 years old there is obviously career ‘gaps’ on this CV and that might raise some concerns.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. BosonMichael

Most employers won't care if you have a life, and they'd rather you play with computers all day long. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I guess, I don't do the hiring. Wouldn't know much about that at the moment. :biggrin

7. BosonMichael

All you have to do is to put yourself in their shoes. Their primary responsibility is to find someone who can do the job... not find someone who likes a certain football team or enjoys scuba diving, right? ;)