Need help with DHCP lab

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by intheory87, Jan 24, 2012.

1. intheory87

intheory87 New Member

I am currently doing a lab, which entails having two subnets each of which contain 1 ( 2008 RRAS server for LAN routing and DHCP relay agent) (one 2008 dhcp server configured with scopes for each subnet) and (one DHCP client). The main goal of this lab is to get DHCP address to you client in the event you primary DHCP server goes down and it should work in both directions. I have added DCHP relay agents to both RRAS servers and configured the correct adapter to point to the DHCP server on the other subnet. All nodes on the network can communicate with each other just fine, but when i bring down one of the DHCP servers, the Relay agent isn't forwarding the requests. I've fallowed all the documentation i can find and everything appears to be correct. Does anyone have any idea of what is going wrong with my setup??? My Diagram is below...

Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+
    WIP: Graduate from College
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm feeling particularly dumb tonight - can you post a screenshot of your DHCP Relay Agent tabs - ie, the settings, hop count etc. that you set.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Why has DHCP2 got a different DNS address?

EDIT: Hang on, I think I see now. Looks like I have a lot to learn about DHCP.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
    Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. intheory87

intheory87 New Member

Your right I have alot to learn but, the reason the DNS is different is because I am doing this lab with a partner who is responsible for there own subnet, an that in the dns setting they are using the 168.154.192.44 address is the school internal DNS. Derkit you were on track my problem was in my tabs, but it was in the tabs of my partners scope, on the advanced tab they had on they BootP option selected, once i changed it to BOTH DHCP relay worked as expected.

Thank You All for you input

Certifications: A+, Net+, Sec+
    WIP: Graduate from College
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

No worries! I didn't even think about the BootP option, I was more fishing :oops:
    I've only ever used in "Both" mode so would have probably changed that by chance.

More interestingly though is that even though one of the DHCP Relay Agent tab's was at fault, I can't initially see what your Relay Agent didn't work straight away - it should have done. My initial thought was that the IPs in the tab to point to the DHCP server was wrong.....

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293