need help with 70-271 and later 272

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by twizzle, Jan 8, 2007.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Hey guys,

Im doing my best to getmotivated to do the 271 exam by the end of feb. However work is getting in the way (i need to do a course for them too and learn the circuits we use and thats a lot!!). I have been studying ona nd off for the last 6 months but dont feel i getting very far.

I have been using the MS press books for the exams and Transcender as practice software but keep failing still and no sign of improvement. My main weakness is the domian and acess rights etc involved with setting up users as i dont get to do this at work and theres no need at home with just 2 pcs.

Can any one be free to help go over all this with me and maybe throw a few questions at me?? bit like at school lol???

need ta get me ass in gear as im running out of monet too so wont be able to afford the exam!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Do you have a server setup at home (Virtual / Physical)?

If not get hold of Virtual PC and get one installed. Create a domain controller and install a client PC.

The best way to learn is by doing! 8)

3. Vusi

Vusi Bit Poster

Help me out with my 70-290 exam, by sending me practice exams. Please:D

Certifications: A+ , N+ and MCSE 70-270
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Practice exams can be purchased from a number of places here are a few of them.

Transcender

Preplogic

Measureup

8)

5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Si,

I have Vmware lying around on a disk somewhere so could use that. Problem is i dont know how to setup a domain controller and i cant remeber seeing anything in the MS press book for 271 that would help there.

Also as my pc only has 512mb of ram at the mo im not sure i can use Vmware that effectively. And i dont have the spare time to setup another pc as a server ( i have the bits lying around but not sure what works and what dont).

Is there an easy way to remeber what cancels out what in domain and group policices with regards to access rights etc? I remerber for the OSI layers in N+ there was an acronym but doubt there is for this....

Any other help please??? pleaseeeeeeee???????????? Dont make me beg!!!! :cry:

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Twizz,

Try this thread.

And buy more memory for your PC! :biggrin

7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for that SI will take some reading but looks very useful... DOH Search is not my friend!!

Now any more tips for the rest of the exam?? lol

Im ok with installing and configuring hardware, Supporting desktop and IE. Im weak on the access to resources, and supoprting local and group users.... what else?????

Beginig to wish i never started this now lol. but im sure it will come to me eventually.

And i am going to buy more ram once i can afford it.... 1gb dual channel for now then more ina nother few months. However i have 3 pcs to get parts for and build so money is really tight lol... pay rise soon i hope!!

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yo twizz! Relax my man! :biggrin

MCDST exams are nice.... :D Right lets see how you study... you got the MS Press book which is good - i hope its the 2nd edition! This is because the exam is VERY SP2 based and the first edition doesnt cover SP2 so if you havent got it start finding out the features you missing like the Security Centre and read them up on technet.

You got another resource? Like Windows XP Inside Out or maybe some other book on Windows XP?

As for your lab - look in the lab partners forum i did an installation in there if its not there PM me and ill create one for you using VMWare...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Help me out by sending me money. Please. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I'll look at your install guide later Zim thanks!

As for studying, i have the MS press book but think it may be 1st edition as it dosent mention much to do with SP2 that i can remeber (at work so cant check yet) but i got it because it had the SP2 evealuation software on the cover and thoughtit was 2nd edt. I dont have any other books except for ms press for 270 and the 70-270 sybex one (too in depth for waht i need now and more confusing). i did read that the 70-271 sybex book wasnt so hot so have avoided getting that one maybe i should?

Apsrt from that i have done several installs of XP at home and in work but not much with the unattended stuff or with domains. Thats why im ok on the hardware support side lol.

And like i said i have transcender exams to help too. It just doesnt seem to be sinking in.

And just who is this VUSI who has tried to hijack my thread???? This is the 3rd(?) thread i've seen them post in asking exactly the same question.... You cant get the exams on here only help!!! if you want to pass by learning the exam questions look for a braindump site. But you wont know the subject only answers to specific questions that will never happen in real life!!! Get a few books and ask a few questions on the topics and above all LEARN NOT MEMORISE!!!