Need Help preparing for the A+ Operating System Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, May 27, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I understand the concept of installing device drivers and the concept of digitally signed drivers but again I having trouble filling out the OS objectives using the information I have from the Mike Meyers book. Could someone help, please I need this information I am trying to complete 2003 A+ Operating System Exam.

BlueRinse maybe you can help.

Section 2.3

o Device Driver Installation

o Plug and Play (PNP) and non-PNP devices

o Install and configure device drivers

o Install different device drivers

o Manually install a device driver

o Search the Internet for updated device drivers

o Using unsigned drivers (driver signing)

P.S. Please bear with me I really need to complete A+ 2003
    And yes I searching Google and MS knowlege base for answers.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

o Device Driver Installation

This is either installing a driver from CD, the manufacturers website or Windows update.

o Plug and Play (PNP) and non-PNP devices

In the early days, devices had to be configured manually by a dip switch or the device's softare. Windows 98 introduced plug and play. The idea being, you plug the device in, Windows finds the driver (or asks you for the CD) and in a few minutes your new device is ready to use.

o Install and configure device drivers

As above.

o Install different device drivers

You can upgrade a device driver from within Device manger. XP has a feature called "roll back". If you have problems with a recently installed driver, you can "roll back" to the previous one. This only works if have upgraded the driver through the wizard.
    There might also be some questions on downloading and installing drivers from the manufacturers website. Why not try it, if you haven't already done so?

o Manually install a device driver

Most drivers are installed in a similar fashion. A driver could be a .inf (information file) or an .exe which will launch a small program and guide you through any options you might have to decide on

o Search the Internet for updated device drivers

Windows update. Manufacturers website. When Windows detects a new device that it does not have a driver for, it will ask your permission to look for the driver on the internet. Windows will look for the most recent signed (see below) driver.

o Using unsigned drivers (driver signing)

Unsigned drivers are drivers that have not been tested by Microsoft. It doesn't mean they won't work, but are not guaranteed to work without causing problems. Sometimes it is a good idea to look around and see if others have had issues with a particular version of driver. There are the options of block, warn or ignore driver signing.

Hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think Boycie has covered it nicely Proff 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

@Professor-Falken, how many weeks untill your O/S exam?

I think your in the same boat as me, I have my Hardware in 3 weeks!

What I am doing at the moment is taking loads of practice exams and writing down all the questions I have got wrong and concentrating on them.

some good practice exams can be found here:

http://www.proprofs.com/certification/comptia/a-plus/exams/index.shtml

the flash cards are a massive help also, I have made my own to help me revise IRQs, Cable speeds and cats, POST and error codes etc,

One word of advice, I was asked loads of questions on paths to device manager, control panel and so on. SO KNOW YOUR PATHS TO THE COMMON PROGRAMS IN WINDOWS!:D

easy fella

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  5. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

I studied off MM's All-in-One, and in the last 3 weeks concentrated on the test specific areas. If you have any gaps there are a few websites out there, eg Wikipedia and computerhope.com.

Also worth taking a look at the cramsessions.com free study guides which I found helpful.

Congrats on passing your hardware.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  6. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Yes this helps alot my problem was really trying to understand what was going to be on the test. Do you know what I mean.
    I understand all the above concepts but didnt know what to expect on the exam. For example Domain 1 of the objectives.
    asks basically what is Windows Explorer. I know that I have understand what Windows Explorer is and does.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Professor, try the following:

On a Windows computer

Right-click My Computer
    Click Properties
    Click the Hardware tab
    Click Device Manager
    Expand any item in the list (Display adapters, for example)
    Right click the device (such as NIVDIA GeForce FX 5200)
    Click Properties
    Click the Driver tab

The options on the Driver tab should map nicely to some of the items you have listed.

In my PC Technician Street Smarts book, I have an entire section describing the "HOW TOs" of each of the areas you list in your original post. It might make more sense to read something like that than to try to absorb the abstract concepts.

I think (just my opinion) that part of your difficulties here have to do with addressing the A+ OS objectives as abstact concepts. I know that's always been a chore for me as well. It's much easier for me to learn something if I can actually put my hands on it, so to speak. If you can *do* the things mentioned on the list, I think it'll be easier for you to understand them.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. VantageIsle

@Tripwire, You wrote that book? Bought that a few weeks back.... its a corker.

[off/topic] :biggrin

9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Yep he certainly did, ive got a copy myself :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Prof,

Just to echo what Trip has already said - "learn by doing".
    I find studying quite hard. I put a lot of time in and usually practice then read the theory behind it. For me, it helps.

I am sure you will be fine with the second part of your A+. Best of luck.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

LOL. People don't commonly use the word "corker" in that context in the US so I looked up the definitions to make sure you didn't say "the book sukked".

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/corker

Now before another mod or admin says it...
    :offtopic

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. VantageIsle

see, we are all learning new things:D yes, I was commenting that your book was rather good, I'm sure it will certainly come it handy if I manage to land a IT tech job.

anyhoo:offtopic

13. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi Prof,

In agreement with the guys, there is nothing like going through the motions. A lab sim is an alternative if you don't have the facilities; something I did.

To be honest, even though I had done plentry of reading, I still had an element of self-doubt before sitting the OS exam, but ended up with higher points than my hardware. I think MM is right about writing down notes. Write the key points, sequences etc in the form of flash cards. Alternatively, I agree that Tripwire's book is to the point. (congrats, Tripwire).

Take the plunge. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Rgds

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer