Need help on job applying

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by barrixrock, Dec 13, 2012.

1. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

I haven't started any jobs related to IT.
    I have acquired Comptia A+ & Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP) 70-680.
    Before I get any more certs, I really want to get experience in IT jobs.

I just don't know what type of job post I should look for.
    Only experience I have is that I used to do fix PC for friends and other people who contacted me for few years.
    5 years of self experience at home.

I am really clueless what jobs I should go for. Can anyone experienced IT jobs gurus.

I didn't finish the Uni as well.
    My college qualification was BTEC IT National Dip. Level 3.

On my C.V. I was saying I am looking for IT Technician or IT Support Tech.
    I don't think I can get this post.

Please reply.:cry: someone.
    Really desperate to find a job in IT.

I don't want to work in elsewhere where my minds doesn't go at all.

Thank you
    Anil

Certifications: A+, MS 70-680
    WIP: MS 70-640
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A couple of things for you. The single 70-680 exam will give you an MCTS qualification rather than an MCITP.

Secondly start looking at 1st line roles, call loggers, help desk analyst roles are what you need to have on your CV before you can really expect to go onto Technical roles.

Your CV shouldn't mention anything about looking for particular type roles, that should be left to the covering letter instead. Your CV should cover your certifications, qualifications, previous job roles and interests.

One thing you will find when coming in to IT is that you will have to get used to all the ****ty roles because you're starting at the bottom of the ladder and unfortunately **** rolls down hill.

Get some experience under your belt, show to people that you're technically capable and the better paying and more technical roles will come but please don't expect to earn big bucks and work nice short weeks when you're first starting out.

I would also have a look at my post http://www.certforums.com/forums/tr...-training-dos-donts-people-wanting-start.html for some more information for people wanting to start in IT.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    jvanassen and barrixrock like this.
  3. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

Thank you for your kind reply.

Can you please have a look on my c.v?
    I guess I have to change again..

Thanks

Attached Files:

4. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

something tells me that I do not like the CV, I just feel like it's all clamped together, but I will let others give feedback also.

The careeer area, you have put all the jobs (from what I can tell) on one line with the dates in brackets, but with no actual information of what the job was doing or who it was working for. the key achievements of each job should fit within the job description and then bullet points of your duties in brief.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    barrixrock likes this.
  5. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

jobs are not IT related.. none of them are..
    need to add job roles lol damn

6. shadowwebs

the CV says under "career & achievements to date", IT Technician.

this sounds like an IT related job, I presume that the key achievements are therefore related to the IT Technician job as I don't automatically read it that way, I read it as all the jobs together when really the other jobs should be listed away from the IT Tech

- - - Updated - - -

Also, your skills & key competencies show "strong technical & software development expertise", this is fine but I cannot see anywhere on your CV any evidence of what software development you have been involved with?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    barrixrock likes this.
  7. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

i guess i should remove the Software Development.

it was in Uni 2nd year. But I dropped out.. i guess that doesn't count. CSDE

8. shadowwebs

well you could say that you dropped out, but yeah probably best that you dont.

when did you complete your A+ and 70-680?

9. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

but my level 3in btech says
    BTEC National Certificate for IT Practitioners Level 3 (Software Development)
    Overall Grade: Distinction Merit 12 units below;
    • Communication and Employment Skills For IT
    • Computer Systems
    • Information Systems
    • Advanced Spreadsheet Skills
    • Website Production And Management
    • Digital Graphics and Computers
    • Principle of Software Design and Development
    • Communication Technologies
    • Maintaining Computer Systems
    • Event Driven Programming
    • Installing and Upgrading Software
    • Computer Animation

That is what I completed in college. You may say the basic :) I don't remember it much lol
    I am forget quick what I learn..

Uni was more advanced CSDE..

70-680 this year.
    A+ Last year.

I guess i need to add the date as well?

10. shadowwebs

yes you do, have you ever thought of having one of those professional companies re-write your CV for you?

barrixrock likes this.
  11. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

that is the one they sent me..
    they told me everything is merged in one page.
    really don't know which is good c.v. bcuz i never made c.v in IT

i am really bad at making c.v.
    that is the reason' i can't look for jobs :(

12. shadowwebs

did a professional CV writing company charge you for that CV?

13. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

i feel i should sign up for this one.
    https://www.360gsp.com/training/job-placement-guarantee
    may be this helps

I paid for c.v. and c letter..

i don't really have much money to cover costs on studies and courses no more..

Yes

14. shadowwebs

I will send you a private message with my email address on if you can send me your CV there and let me know the changes you want making. If you can send the original without any information missing that may have been missing on here and I will let you know what I can do.

In regards to training companies that charge and provide a job guarantee, none of them can truly guarantee jobs unless you are going to end up working for them, it's not worth the risk. self-study all the way, what is the next cert you want to do?

barrixrock likes this.
  15. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

yes sure.. thanks shadowwebs. will send the stuff I have.
    i am looking for job.. i feel like i am not qualified at all when i see job requirement.
    my biggest downgrade i didn't graduate.. :(

16. shadowwebs

There are plenty of jobs out there, I will see what I can do and drop you an e-mail back and then will see if can find you a couple of jobs to get you up and running for what you can apply for.

17. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Do have a chat with Angel from 360GSP about the course. I have been sceptical in the past where courses like this are concerned but having spoken to a couple of people on courses with 360 it does appear that they get placements. Obviously things vary but all the people I have seen on courses with them (and I have done a couple there now) all have pretty good things to say about them.

I do disagree with Shadowwebs about self-study, it's not something I can do myself which is why I always go to a training provider (see http://www.certforums.com/forums/training-development/47602-self-study-vs-classroom-study.html for more details on the pro's\con's of self\classroom based study).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    barrixrock likes this.
  18. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

I am currently doing nothing for few years LOL..
    Hope that is affordable.

Last time i tried to spoke with Angel I almost signed up for their course plan which out of budge range around £3000-7000.

19. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Simon's post hit the nail on the head. I was in your position and have just completed 6 months at my first IT role. I was searching for 1st line support and general help desk roles because as Simon said that's really where you've got to expect to start.

Lucky for me I landed a Desktop Support Analyst role where I was basically given the opportunity to run the company's help desk and am being given exposure to alot of stuff rather than being stuck doing the ****ty jobs if you like.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
    barrixrock likes this.
  20. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

You know on job requirements they ask you to know pretty much so many things.
    On the interview, do they ask us to perform all of the task. Or is there some sort of training and company will help you.. after interview.

I just want to go interview and get the feel how the process is done, not aiming job at the first go.. then after I revise myself on the things I need to do.

Thanks