need help on A+ software exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by BROONSA, Jan 27, 2005.

1. BROONSA

BROONSA Bit Poster

I have sat the A+ hardware exam today and passed, my mark was 70%, which to be honest i was very disappointed in considering the work that i thought i put in. Anyway my problem is this, as i just scrapped thru the hardware site i am slightly worried about the software side, as i felt i was stronger on the hardware section.
    Has anybody got any help on books, websites or cdroms,that may
    help with mock exams , because i cant seem to get my head round the dos side(config,msdos,autoexec command etc) :eek:
    so many rules of if's and buts

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know what you used to study for the hardware side of it but chances are it also has the material for the OS section. I used the Michael Meyers book for both sections and like you, I felt weaker in the OS section of the exam.

To prepare, I bought a very large sketchbook and broke subjects down into logical parts and associations. I drew an entire series of flow charts of everything I needed to know for the OS section.

Bottom line is that I already had the necessary study materials, I just needed to organize them in such a way that they made sense to me and I could remember them. I took the hardware and OS sections back to back and passed both.

I don't remember the scores, but traditionally, when I pass a test, it's not by a spectacular degree. Don't worry about whether you passed with a 70 or a 90. The test is pass/fail so a pass is a pass.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. BROONSA

BROONSA Bit Poster

I used the Mike Myers book as well, and it was very well written, but i just felt today that some of the question today were of subjects that i hadn't even heard of.

anyway thanks for the advice, i will buy a large book over the weekend

:)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Keep in mind that I chose that particular method because the way I learn is almost completely visual. If you just told me a set of directions, I'd forget them in a few minutes (or seconds!) :eek: I draw and write because that's how I learn. For another person, getting a book on tape or CD would be great because they learn auditorily. For me it would be a disaster.

If drawing things out (especially how memory space works) helps you learn, great. However, it is important to key into what works for you. Not everyone learns the same. That's why standardized edcuation doesn't work for everyone...because it only teaches using one method.

You can buy the best study materials in the world, but if they are not designed to take advantage of your particular learning style (whether visual, auditory, or whatever), you will still have a tough time absorbing the material.

Hope that helps.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I have to agree with this, as it wouldn't be a method that would work for me (no offence Trip :wink: )

I prefer to try and find patterns, mnemonics and trends from what I'm reading about - I mostly can achieve through visualising it in my head, although I have often written some stuff out on paper, like Trip.

You may want to take a table or list, and see if you can find a sentence constructed from the first word/line in each entry - anything, just find something that will help it stick in your mind.

Other examples would be finding a way to remember the list of IRQs by some kind of formula or pattern (I know you've nailed Hardware already, just an example)

These are just some (non-specific) examples of the methods that have worked for me in the past. Only you can find your method Broonsa - good luck once you do :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity