Need help! don't know which way to go in IT!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mark audio, Jul 7, 2008.

1. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

Hello all! been reading over the threads, good stuff, been looking for a site just like this, i was hoping some of you guys can offer me some advise in how to make up my mind about which way to go in IT, i've been working on helpdesks, and done some IT testing for about 5 years, i went to college and got an advanced GNVQ and i went to uni and dropped out in the 2nd year of a IT course (lack of £££ from going out 2 much!) and have been sort of in and out of what i want to do, one month i want to get into development, the next i want to do my MCSA & CCNA, the next i want to get into security .. it'll probably be something else next month... i've always been good with computers and it's definiatly what i want to do as a career but i think i've been on the helpdesk to long and i've gotten stale, please please please can someone give me some advise on how to make my mind up! i've bought different books, i've arranged meetings and sat in with other teams at my work and i still don't know... maybe if some of you guys explained how you decided to go the way you have it might help me get a bit of perpective!

thanks for any help!

Mark :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: Learning .NET
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like you don't know what you want to do... and unfortunately, nobody can tell you what that is.

If you want to continue down the "techie" road, I would recommend that you switch to a job that will enable you to get some server experience before pursuing the MCSA... and eventually, some network experience before pursuing the CCNA or security routes. Perhaps you can get a desktop support role of some sort where you can assist the server admins with their responsibilities and learn from them. This is how you get that all-important experience. If you sit in helpdesk purgatory for the rest of your life, you won't grow any. After several years, you've likely learned everything you can from that role - it's time to move on.

If you don't yet have any certifications, the A+, Network+, and MCDST will go a LONG way towards getting you the desktop support role you desire.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

G'day.

How ya doin? Welcome to the forum.

No worries.:twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

thanks for the reply! i think i your right i need to just get moving off the helpdesk, reading through all the threads has really given me a massive boost of motiviation, already booked my MCP XP exam for after i finish the A+, i have to just get going down the road i'm on and worry about the different paths further down the line when i'm not logging calls all day!

Thanks again, this forums been a real help and i've only been reading it since yesterday! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: Learning .NET