Need help deciding with whom to train for certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Taurus, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Hi,

I have a degree in Business and Management as well as some commercial experience (non IT related).

Because of the current economic climate I am struggling to find any business related work at the moment, even telesales vacancies are not replying to me, so I have decided to try my hand at IT. I have a keen interest in IT, particularly Technical Support, as I have built my own pc's for years and tinkered with home networks and various advanced software, its my hobby if you like 8)

I have been to "Just IT" training/recruitment company and have heard the usual sales pitch about why i should train for certificates with them. Although guaranteed (unpaid 1-2 mnth) placement sounded tempting.

Now, I did some research on other websites and on this forum and was horrified to find all such training companies are called bad names. scam this scam that. I am really puzzled, what London (where I am at) company should I go for to train for certs if all of them are considered "scams" by this forum?!

I am not particularly interested in studying from home as I prefer structured classroom approach.

From reading this forum I have worked out which certificates I need to do initially, however I have failed to find any consensus on training companies...

So, is there one or two training companies that most of you agree are worth giving 4-5k to?

thanks

Certifications: x
    WIP: x
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you shouldn't give anyone 4-5k for training. Why can't you learn on your own?

Its cheaper, you can do it at your own pace and you can study correctly and not rip yourself off.

You say that you prefer classroom based training. But you will find in IT that if you can't take in information and learn on your own then you may struggle because IT is a constant learning environment to be working in.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Each to their own and I understand your "need" for classroom training.

I would suggest staying away from companies that only offer IT training as these are the most likely candidates for our wrath on here.

Try to find a company that offers other stuff such as support etc. to the business world. Those companies that offer a range of IT services as well as training are more likely to be "reliable" in that the training side is not their core business.

Typically there will be vendor accredited for IT solutions from a range of people such as Microsoft, Cisco, VMWare etc.

No doubt it will cost you and they may insist on seeing what experience you have first but you are likely to get better quality training.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I agree with the chaps above. You generally have less chance of wasting money if you look to your local colleges and uni's as these will be government funded in some fashion. Good luck, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Thank you for reply's guys. Since posting this thread I have researched the possibility of self study and decided to give it a go, A+ at least. I had a look through A+ material and it doesn't seem like rocket science at all, so hopefully shouldn't take me long.

thanks again! :)

Certifications: x
    WIP: x