Need help abt MCSD

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by musman, Jul 3, 2008.

1. musman

musman New Member

Hey all,
    I am new to this forum. I have a question from you all. I was thinking to have my mcsd by the end of this year. But later I got to know that many of MCSD, supposedly most of what I was supposed to take, are retiring in march 2009.
    I am not sure what to do? Either Should I go ahead and take tests or should wait for new tests. I dont know what difference its gonna make if i take or do not take these tests. Please explain thanks.

2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

The question here is 'do you think you can complete 5 challenging exams in about 8 months?'

For most people the answer is 'no', unless you have some strong experience behind you.
    Don't forget that if you pass 4, and the exams retire, you won't get an MCSD.
    Play your cards right and you could get an MCAD though (3 exams).

There's a lot more to it though.
    What platform do you have experience in?
    What sort of work are you looking to get into?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends largely on whether you can knock them out by then.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. musman

musman New Member

Well I have two years of experience in VB.net. and that is the same Plat form I would be going into. I like the suggestion abt MCAD tho. But can I make it MCSD later after march 2009???

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

No.

After March you will not be able to gain an MCSD.

However, there are upgrade paths to the newer certs - so providing you have at least an MCAD you can upgrade to one of the new developer certs after this date.

But then, if that's where you want to end up, you may as well start out on the new exams now...

6. musman

musman New Member

You said new exams. Are there any exams that can make updated version of certifications like MCSD or MCAD?

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

8. musman

musman New Member

Thanks JonnyMX,
    Appreciate it.
    :)

9. LayaboutSi

LayaboutSi Bit Poster

Hi musman

I am about to sit exam 4 (70-300) of the 5 MCSD on Monday and expect to cover them all in a little under 6 months from start to finish. It has been a major slog though and the social life has suffered a lot. It is also quite difficult getting hold of some of the guides for the exams and many of the code examples need tweeking to work with Visual Studio 2005.

What I would say is that if you do not have a specific reason for achieving MCSD then choose the MCPD 2005 or MCPD 2008 routes.

However, I am not sure whether MCPD covers the architecture side to the degree MCSD does. Maybe this is something other members can answer?

Si

Certifications: Prince2, MCAD, MCSD, 70-431
    WIP: Advanced chillout