Need Guidance!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by phool4fool, Mar 26, 2007.

1. phool4fool

phool4fool New Member

Hello Friends!
    I'm Abid from Pakistan. I've completed my Bechelor degree & now I've decided to take MCSE Exams.
    I've Interest in Networking & System Administration. So for this what should I've to do for my career.
    What is the Criteria, Procedure, Duration, and Fee of Exams.
    I'll be very thankful for your kind help.

Abid

2. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Hi Abid,

I would suggest you start looking for a role in IT now, as its not really recommended to start along the MCSE track without actually gaining real scenario work experience along the way...

I cant imagine any company would want to hire an MCSE with no hands on experience at all.

As for criteria, again, I would say part of this is real world experience.

Procedure, get hold of some labs, some decent reading material - mostly found on amazon, just type your exam number into the search and relevant results are returned. Duration? this varies from person to person, but MCSE is usually a senior network engineer, so you are looking at multiple years of experience really. If it is duration of the exam, you are looking at 2-3 hours for each exam pretty much - again depending on the precise track you choose for your MCSE.

I would suggest your first step is trying to get a position within an IT department enabling you to get that much needed real life experience.

Experience is the key. Try not to under estimate the power and knowledge a decent MCSE has - they are top MS boys. There are so many people these days who want to get certified, and just presume that obtaining the MCSE cert is a small feat - it really is not, unless you are happy to be one of the thousands of paper MCSE's out there - its this real nonchelant attitude towards the MCSE cert which is really harming and devaluing the certified and honest IT workers out there. Even the non MCSE MS cert holders feel the brunt of all these people clammering to get MCSE.

Its a bit like trying to run before you can walk....

Good luck with your training and search of a position mate.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  3. phool4fool

phool4fool New Member

Well! First of all thanks for your kind reply.
    Actually I'm working in networking environment (LAN) I know well that Experience is the key to get succeeded in the exam.
    My questions are:
    1- how many exams I've to take?
    2- What is each exam duration after which I've to give exam. Is there any specific time (session) to give exam or whenever you want, you can give exam??
    3- What is each exam fee?
    4- Is there any other charges?
    5- what would be the gap between exams? Can I give two Exams combine??? I mean two exams in same interval.
    6- I live in Pakistan. So what will be the procedure to take exam??? Is there any examination centre for Microsoft Certifications in Pakistan???
    7- What are total marks of each exam & also want to know that what are the passing marks of each exam?
    I hope that you got the point through which I'm asking these question.
    I'll be very thankful

Abid

4. webslinger2k

webslinger2k Byte Poster

Hi Abid,

1. You will have to take 7 exams for the MCSE track - these vary according to your specialities or intended path and can be found HERE on MS Site

2. I think you mean "take" instead of "give" - if so, there is no time limit on how soon you have to get your exams done. Providing that the exams obviously do not get outdated (if your planning on taking years to achieve it)

3. In the UK, each MS exam is £88 inc vat

4. Other charges are generally for study material i.e. books and testing software such as transcenders etc. However, this all depends on your budget, so you can spend as little or as much as you want - obviously the more resources you have, the better your potential knowledge pool will be to learn from.

5. You can indeed take two exams in one day, the only problem you may face is if you fail, and have to take the same exam again - I believe you are allowed one more try within the next 24 hours, then if you fail that, you are not allowed to retry that exam for what I think is two weeks (someone else confirm?)

6. Exam centres in Pakistan - absolutely no idea. I found my local exam centre through the Microsoft website, so give that a try.

7. The passing marks and total scores are always open to debate. The general consensus is that the pass mark is 700, with a maximum of 1000 for each and every MS exam.

Hope all that information helps, and that you stick around here on CF - it really is the best cert resource on the net.

Certifications: 270, 271, 272
    WIP: 70-290
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good advice webslinger2k - have some rep *toss* :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)