Need advice!

Discussion in 'A+' started by aestudiar, Jul 25, 2010.

1. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

Hi,
    it's time I get a new laptop (been thinking of getting either a Toshiba Qosmio or a Dell XPS), and would like to keep all the info from my old one.
    What's the best of doing this?

I've thought of creating a partition on the new laptop, and an image of the old one (using Norton Ghost or similar), to end up with:
    * Olde laptop configured as it is now.
    * New shiny laptop, with a double partition, one having about 150 GB of HDD, containing an image of the old one, XP Professional, with all the configurations, files and programs intact.
    The other with Windows 7.

What do you guys think? Any recommendations/tips/advice on laptop/HDD imaging software?

Cheers.

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

just link em up n compy the stuff over or use acronis image the stuff setup a second partition on the new drive and copy it over that way.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. aestudiar

aestudiar Byte Poster

If I link them up, will I be able to transfer the programs? I wouldn't think so. :blink

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if you have the installation apps then you could but if not nope.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I doubt taking an image of the old and restoring to new will work tbh due to the difference in the hardware, unless you use something like Acronis Universal Restore . This would keep everything that was on your old laptop, never done this, but they claim it works. You would then need to install Windows 7 on your laptop (new partion) so you could dual boot.

Not a 100% on this, but it would be something also those lines. Also worth noting that if your old laptop OS is OEM, reimaging it to your new laptop would be illegal.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
    Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals