1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice please!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Smorg, May 22, 2008.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi all
    I have been working as a Field Service Engineer for the past 2 years - this was my 1st IT job and basically it was repairing PC, laptops etc. Really enjoyed the job and it paid pretty good to. When I 1st got the job it was my intention to do it for a year to 18 months, study for certs and then start applying for other jobs etc. This never really happened as I got lazy I suppose and because I enjoyed the job wasn't looking too hard.
    Anyway, the contract was temporary and came to a sudden end! Not happy.
    So, now I'm looking for IT jobs but the only experience I have is the 2 years working with hardware. The very few Field Engineer jobs out there all ask for server/2003 experience which I haven't got. Even 1st line helpdesk jobs paying 14k are asking for experience in things I haven't done!
    Really don't know what to do. I want to get into networking but I have no way of getting a job down to lack of certs/experience.
    With the little experience I have, what do you think I should be looking at?
    Thanks a lot
    WIP: A+
  2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Haven't you already asked the same question here?

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+