Need advice on mobile phone & contract...

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guys/Gals,

Isn't quite as simple as the title says...

I have to look into mobile phones for upper management, as well as IT Services (as we support multiple sites and we're tired of using our own mobile phone & money).

Anyway, i'm looking into about 15 phones on contract. Features needed: calls & txts (of course) but also the ability to contact (send & receive e-mails) to our exchange server with maybe some sort of PDA function (but then again if it can connect to the exchange server, it'll use that function).

For handsets, of course the main two spring into mind: the iPhone & Blackberry, are there any others?

Plus which networks offer a good, reliable service as well as customer service. I've got 02 coming in for a chat, but want to compare them to others.

Thanks

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The iPhone is great and easy to setup with email if you are already using Exchange Server 2003\2007.

Blackberrys are more hassle however do offer more functionality, in some cases if you cant get them to connect then you have speak to the provider to make sure BES is enabled on the tariff which is a pain in the a$$. Also if a user gets a new handset the BES can sometimes throw a flakey. Furthermore you will have to invest in a server to run BES or add it to an existing server.

The HTC handsets are an option as well and you could use them with the iPhones if some users didnt want a iPhone as they are more bulky in comparison to some of the HTC handsets.

In regard to tariffs make sure all calls between your mobiles are free and also to your main landline number to cut costs. Data packages will vary.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

We currently use Vodafone who have their own syncing software which is not bad but very fussy and can fall over. AFAIK Blackberrys require a some relay type software for them to work.

I have just got an iphone for personal use and they are a brilliant phone, however I know there was some security concerns when the 3g model first launched as relates to exchange intergration - but I can't remember what it was. The security feature I do like on them is that if lost you can trigger them to remote wipe and brick. My main critism of the phone at the moment is the crappy battery life. For instance i will surf for maybe half an hour make maybe 40 inutes of calls, use it as an ipod and have it check my pop3 email every 15 minutes throught the day. This is what I would expect is light business use and at that I will have to charge the phone once a day as a minimum. However I think most smart phones will suffer from the same issue.

As for other handsets I would recommend any of the windows mobile powered phones as you can set them up to use Outlook Mobile access via SSL which is how one of our offices works and I believe it will be the solution we will move to once the current vidafone contract is up.

Sorry its a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We use blackberries with the BES software (well the free professional software). Got about 10 now in the field for the headmaster and some of the bursary staff.

BES software does not run on server 2008 but will quite happily sit on an existing server with not too much overhead. The software takes a bit of setting up, but once done you'll hardly ever have to log into it unless you get some more devices. Blackberries can be expensive, what with the line rental and also the blackberry service needed for the data, but I've never really had a problem with them.

What I did was contacted O2 and got a 4 week trial from them with handsets and software. You will need to pay for any calls though. If you want Ken, I can give you the name and contact of my account manager who deals with this area.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Kitkatninja

Thanks guys, if you could AJ, that would be great :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  6. AJ

No worries mate. When I get back to work I'll hunt it out for you.

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

We use blackberry's at work with the Vodafone network and talking about blackberry I had to setup a bold 9000 for one of our directors.

The blackberry bold in a nutshell is the device I'd go for if it's a blackberry as I didn't like the functionality of the blackberry storm.

I also like the iphone too:), but still loving my new nokia E71 as it's solid and does what it says on the can:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Kitkatninja

-Ken

9. Kitkatninja

Hi Guy's another question...

What about opening up Office documents (2k3 & 2k7) & .pdf's? Are there any other programs apart from Documents to Go? The iPhone version is earmarked for this year, Blackberries are already available.

-Ken

10. AJ

We've had no problems opening up office documents as attachments for the blackberries.

Not sure if they edit them, but I think not. Read no problem edit, not sure 100%.

11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

we use blackberries as well... I find they're so much better for email than iphones. Also BES can be a headache sometimes but in general it performs really well... Mind you we have 400+ employee company. As for the phones that we use are Blackberry Curve 8310-8330 and the blackberry bold.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. Sparky

Really? I get my email, calendar and contacts from Exchange server onto my iPhone. Apart from adding a second mailbox (not sure if you can do that on the iPhone) that seems to be all you need. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. Kitkatninja

Thanks guys, I have organised a trial of 3 phones thru O2 to actually see how they compare, the ease of use as well as features. The 3 phones are as follows:

1. The Nokia E71
    2. Blackberry 8900 Curve
    3. iPhone

I'll let you guys know how we get on.

-Ken

14. Sparky

Software for the Nokia that will allow email to sync with Exchange server.

http://www.businesssoftware.nokia.com/mail_for_exchange_downloads.php

Last time I used it sub folders in the inbox were not supported but it may have changed now.

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'm enjoying the Nokia E71 as it has so much functionality and features its amazing how its all crammed in one phone and feels very sturdy. Well, the joys of technology and gadgets I suppose:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

A vote for Blackberry here. BES is much easier to set up since version 4 and, provided you can live with the regular weekend downtime whilst you patch the, quite frankly, ridiculous number of security vulnerabilities relating to Adobe/Distiller (running at about two a month at the moment I think!) it pretty much looks after itself. It isn't cheap, but it is very powerful and, once you've learned the basics, easy manage.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em