Need a starting point!

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Oscar, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Oscar

Oscar New Member

Hi there all this is my first post so firstly I shall say hello!
    I am sure that posts similar to mine have came up often and I have looked through the forum to find an answer but I still need some advice for you all.

I am currently studying a dietetics degree at uni, I enjoy the learning but I am unsure whether I really would like to do the job, I have always been into computers since I was young and admittedly spend way way to much time on them tinkering around. I really enjoy helping people with their computer problems and feel quite a bit of achievement when I am able to fix a problem on my own or get a chance to show my knowledge.
    Because of this I am seriously considering a career in it and really need some guidance on where to start.

So far I have no formal experience with I.T and computing except from making some fairly simple websites with HTML, CSS and PHP.
    I am unsure of the exact area I would like to progress into however I would like to learn more about computer systems and networks as this is something I have little experience with.

So basically I want a way to get a first step into working in I.T and I know that experience is golden in this type of career so I was thinking some sort of apprenticeship would be the best way forward then getting certificates ( a+, N+), however I am going to be 22 this year and I may be too old for apprenticeships? If not how do I go about finding one? I was thinking that I would like to get a job in the sector and then do an open university degree along side it in something like I.T and business because I do think some of the higher paying jobs wont look at me in the future without a degree.

Sorry I have started to ramble on, just need some advice on how to get started and what ways it is possible to progress.

Many thanks for any help you may give,
    Oscar.