Need a new ADSL Router

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Fergal1982, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I've been having issues with my Netgear DG834 Wired router for well over a year now. It continuously drops the broadband connection (LCP Down). Upgrading the firmware hasnt helped, nor has a factory reset. Mostly I've just tolerated it, because I dont do a lot of streaming at the moment.

However, my Wifi access point (Netgear WPN802) has now also started acting up. It will frequently drop wifi connections, and even when connected most often wont route through to the internet.

I'm thinking it's time to splash out for a new ADSL router - and one with integrated WiFi this time. I'd also like the router to have Gigabit ports, so that I can begin to upgrade my network to Gigabit over time.

I've been looking at the Linksys E3000 as a possible contender. It seems to review quite well, although I have heard that you should really fire one of the custom firmwares (DD-WRT or Tomato?) onto them, to get full benefit of all the features.

Does anyone have any recommendations of particularly good routers?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

You might have been put off by the Netgears a bit, but I really like the Rangemax WNDR3700. I've got the cable version and it hasn't let me down yet. It has been on constantly and I've not experienced one connection drop yet.
    It's a bit pricey but the dual band has come in handy. It supports the custom firmwares as well, but I've not been brave enough to try one yet.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Just incase you hadn't realised that doesn't have an ADSL port on it. You need a separate ADSL modem

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  5. Fergal1982

Dammit! Neither it does. And thats not even the first one I've done that with....

I'm not against Netgear at all - these two models have served me pretty well for a number of years. I was just not seeing a lot on the market that seemed very good at the moment.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. Fergal1982

this might be an option, although reviews indicate that the 2.4GHz WiFi can be a bit choppy in terms of speed. Still, anything else I have seen reviews worse, or would require the purchase of a separate Modem

7. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Can't go wrong with a Draytek, expensive but worth the money, check out Vigor 2830n.

Robert

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+
  8. THXbob

THXbob Bit Poster

Draytek Vigor 2820n has 1 gb port, the 2830n has 4 gb ports.

Robert

WIP: CompTIA A+ and Network+