need a little help

Discussion in 'A+' started by steve_p1981, Feb 22, 2011.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Ok so i finally managed to get through my dummies guide to A+ exams 220-701 and 702 but i've just seen in another post that someone thinks these exams were the 2006 tests and won't be supported anymore. Is this right? I checked the publishing date of this book and it said that it was published just last year.

If this is out of date, what exams do i need to take now and wil i be able to pass with the information in the book? I've also been watching professor messers vids too so hopefully all is not lost.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You need to be following the Objectives for 220-701 and 220-702 for the compTIA A+ exams. The 2006 objectives follow the 220-601 - 220-604 objectives which were retired last year. FYI the dummies book is suppossed to be crap I would recommend getting the compTIA A+ all in one exam guid 7th edition by Mike Meyers.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

Steve,

echoing what GBL states, you are using the correct resources for the 220 series exams.

Of more concern to me is the quality of the Dummies book itself. I found it to be useless, going into great detail in areas that simply were not relevant ( from memory nearly two pages just on redundancy bits!) and then skipping over concepts that were quite important. This was proven to me when I bought the Mike Meyers book (A+ All in one exam guide, sixth edition). Do yourself a favour and bin the Dummies book. In my experience it 'ain't worth wasting time on.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  4. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Same again, i read bad reviews about the dummies book! Its all about Mike Meyers all in one book its like the holy grail! if you will insist on the dummies book tho watch the videos on http://www.professormesser.com they will be a great help

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

I got the dummies book because i read several reviews on it and a few of the people said they passed the tests just using that book. I've read the whole thing now and done the practice tests that came with it. I scored 85% but i did find that they asked questions that weren't even covered in the book. luckily i had watched quite a few of the prof messers videos and got my answers from them. just out of interest what is the percentage pass rate on these tests?
    I'm just glad that the 701 and 702 tests are still relevant and i haven't wasted my time.

6. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i think its bout 80% check comptia.org and look for the exam objectives

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

At my last job, one of the help desk techs used the Dummies book to study... and failed miserably. She was so discouraged that she avoided retesting for TWO YEARS. :eek: That is, until I encouraged her to use the Meyers AIO. She passed both exams easily.

Bad training material is worse than no training material at all. Get the good stuff. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee

The pass rate for both A+ exams is about 70% If I remember correctly when I done them it was 645 for the essentials and 700 for the IT tech but I know that they are now essential and practicle but I think the pass rate is similar.

9. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

a pass rate of 645!?!?!? how many questions do they ask! lol

10. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

100 on each exam, funny i know! why not have 1 question = 1 mark lol be simpler
    its out of 900

11. Timostag

Timostag Bit Poster

for the essentails the pass score is 675 out of 900, there are 100 questions but the reason its out of 900 instead of 100 is the questions are worth different points based on how difficult comptia judges them to be, when I did my exam when ever I got a question I knew I didn't know I just hoped it was a low point question.

Apparently on the old exams they weren't out of 100 questions, if you got a run of correct answers the questions would get harder and harder (so you had less questions to answer as you gor more points per question) but if you got one wrong you went back to the easy questions, so if you had to answer lots of questions you knew you had done badly.

Not sure if its ture but its what my boss told me, I think theres a couple of guys on this site that helped write the A+ exams maybe they know?

Certifications: A+,MTA:Networking, MTA: Server Fundamentals MTA:Operating Systems MTA:Security Fundamentals ITIL Foundation
  12. greenbrucelee

you get 100 points just for turning up thats why its not out of 1000:D

13. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

lol ah thats ok then, i was starting to worry for a minute there. hopefully my experience at work will give me the little boost i need to pass the tests, just need to revise cabling types as i'm a bit poo at those :-)

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep. Those sort of exams are called adaptive exams. CompTIA hasn't used the adaptive exam format since 2003, and Microsoft stopped using it prior to that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!