Need a little help with hardware upgrade

Discussion in 'Voice' started by Septima77, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

I managed to purchase a C2611xm router with a voice enabled IOS, however both W-slots and the NM-bay are empty. For my voice lab I want to purchase the NM-1V or NM-2V.

My question is: which card do I need to supplement these Network Modules: VIC-2FXO or VIC-2FSX?
    Does anyone know?

Just want to get some hands-on experience with the CME and IP communicator(s)

Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Disclaimer - I am *not* an expert on Cisco gear.

However - the last three letters on those alternatives suggest strongly that the FXO/FXS difference is possibly the only thing that distinguishes them. So which you need depends on how you intend to set your system up. (I assume that you got the code for the second item slightly wrong?)

There is a good paper (PDF) here on the difference between FXO and FXS.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Septima77

Septima77 Nibble Poster

Thanx for the link.
    Yeah, sorry for the typo, it has been a long day.

I want to use the two phone lines coming into my home from my telco connect to my C2611xm router and share these over 3 IP phones (aka Key Switch Model).

From the document in your link I conclude: the wall connection where the phone line enters the home is a FXS port and therefore I need a FXO port on my router to connect. (FXS to FXS and FXO to FXO will not work).

So my route will be: Wall plate jack --> FXO port C2611xm --> fa 0/0 --> C3550 --> ephones.

Will that work?

Certifications: CCNA CCNAS CCNAV
    WIP: CCVP
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That sounds right. But, as I said, I'm not a Cisco expert, so somebody who knows this kit should be better at validating this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+