NEC Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojorisin, Nov 28, 2007.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi All

I have an NEC i-select M5610 laptop here that has no sound tried installing the drivers from the NEC website but when you goto audio devices it shows that there are none installed and there is nothing showing in the device manager other than a PCI device that i think is to do with usb rather than sound

There is nothing in the bios that shows anything about audio

Any idead ?:eek:

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Does this laptop have its original OS? This sounds as if the chipset drivers haven't been loaded either. What about restoring from the recovery disks?

It could, of course, be that the hardware has been disabled in the BIOS.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. mojorisin

It was one of them onboard recovery machines ie on a partition on the disk but it had been recovered by someone else and they installed it onto the wrong partition and basically the whole thing was goosed and sound wasnt working then aswell

So far i have wiped the disk and install windows xp home from a proper install disk downloaded all updates and installed the drivers from the NEC website but still nothing and there is nothing in the bios regarding audio just very basic stuff not like some other laptops or pc's at all

if this was a pc i would think that the sound card wasnt inserted correctly but as its a laptop then its usually onboard so nothing to really disconnect

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would say as Harry says is that something software wise hasn't been installed properly, like the chipset drivers (the motherboard drivers)

This could very well be the problem as you say you have installed the drivers from the NEC website for the audio but if that driver does not know what it is communicating with then it wont work.

Hope this helps

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. mojorisin

I installed the chipset driver from the NEC website before installing the audio drivers and still nothing

Only thing that i can think of is a slightly similar problem i had with an HP laptop with HD audio and that was to do with not having the Microsoft HD Driver installed but this only came with the original recovery disks although i managed to find a version online eventually

confused you will be ..........:biggrin

6. greenbrucelee

I am still thinking its a software/driver issue.

Have you can into the Hardware menu to see if the device is working properly?

7. mojorisin

Got it going after i downloaded the HD Audio update and the Microsoft HD Driver Also needed the UAA Driver for HD Audio from Microsoft that usually only comes on the original driver disk from the manufacturer

So all sorted now thanks for the input guys

8. greenbrucelee

Glad its sorted mate :)