National Diploma ICT Systems Support & Cisco Networking

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by johnc86, Aug 24, 2006.

1. johnc86

johnc86 New Member

Hi iv been thinking about doing some IT qualifications with a view to a carreer in IT for some time. I toyed with the idea of doing mcse, and was offered a place on an NHS Informatics kadettship in September (i cant remember the qualifications I think they where nvq's however you got work experience all the way through it).

Now iv seen this course offrered at a few local colleges:

National Diploma ICT Systems Support & Cisco Networking

Does any one know if this is a worth while course to do? Anyone got any experience of it? Would appreciate any info. Cheers.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It sounds good, not heard of the course though.

Can you post some more details?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi john,

I think this has come up before and from memory seem to recall it as a foundation course to prepare you for CCNA.

Is the NHS <thing> like an IT apprenticeship?

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy Bit Poster

Am afraid I can't help in terms of the course you're enquiring about, but I too am looking to move into a more specifically IT orientated job than the one I am in now, and lack qualifications.

More specifically, I work for a Dr's surgery at present, and have regular dealings with our local Informatics Team. Was hoping to eventually get a position with them when i've a bit more knowledge & experience than I have at the moment, and to use it as a stepping stone to learn more and gain experience, until I can find something more attuned to what I want to do.

Best of luck with the career plan!

Certifications: ECDL BCS1, NCFE Networking Essentials
    WIP: HNC in Computing
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

I say go for it too... its more likely a BTEC or something similar but i like the Cisco Networking part... if you going to end up with a diploma and a cisco cert after a period of time and its not going to cost you much then its very worth it!

JMO 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics