NAT and internet confusion

Discussion in 'Networks' started by kobem, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

definition of the internet confuses my mind !!!!!!!!!

so ;

Have (the system that is called as network address translation)to be used only while
    going to internet?

Anyway we do have not to show our private network to outside(if you ask me)
    is this wrong?

Consequently i think we have to make this in use when we try to reach another branch
    office.

Consider that i am in one of a branch office of a firm and i want to
    connect to other branch office this firm , in this case , do i have to
    use NAT ?

Certifications: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have answered your question on the other post as you have done it twice

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

thanks but i know the things you told me

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most of this is answered in Network+... should we type all the answers to these questions, or should you take your new-found self-sufficiency and go pick up a Network+ study guide? 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

huh? have i read this before?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... it's another of Kobem's double posts that he's been asked not to do.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

No - NAT can be used anywhere - not just on the Internet.

You *cannot* show your private address on the internet. Most internet routers are set to drop such addresses.
    I don't understand what you are saying here. The connection to the 'branch office' will depend on the addressing used.

Depends on how the network has been configured.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

sorry i used English so bad there and trying asking same things with a different view

1- we have to protect our private address not just going to Internet ? also we have to do this
    connecting from a branch office to another branch office?) (for example connecting from New York
    to Los Angeles office of a firm)

2- It is generally known NAT is used for providing hosts exiting to Internet , is this wrong?

3- Every time i exit from my local LAN to a public area(not only Internet , a WAN connection to another
    branch office) should i use NAT?

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

i had examined lots of links but something breaks my mind down!

think i am a host then i want to reach another one(host) in another network.
    packet has exited from me and came to router , will my private address be translated that time?

i mean all time i want to leave my local network , will my private address be translated?

11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

As has been previously pointed out, Not necessarily. It depends on how you have set your network up. you can use NAT over your WAN if you want, but you dont have to. WAN links, as far as im aware are usually similar to VPN connections between the offices.

Certainly at my old work, we didnt use NAT between offices, and we dont do that here. Think about it, how on earth is a support tech in Aberdeen going to be able to connect remotely to a machine in London if NAT is taking place? All I'd be able to connect to would be the router in their office. You cant use NAT if you intend for that kind of thing to happen, and most companies use centralised IT support of some kind.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

hey mate , nearly understood the fact , maybe firewall is used for aberdeen between london telnet
    event.

but like i said before , description of Internet is a bit complicated and from aberdeen to london
    is an Internet too

another thing NAT is used to hide your private address while going Internet
    and in your example NAT is useless

this is too bad mate!

13. Fergal1982

Not useless, just useless over the WAN links. Think of WAN links as secured connections between the two sites. The routers at either end accept incoming transmissions from the other as if it were part of the internal network. The networks will have other routers for allowing access to the internet at large, and those will employ NAT.

These WAN links dont NEED to have firewalls in place between them, because they are secured links between the sites. Just as VPN is an encrypted, secure 'tunnel' across the internet. They probably will have a firewall, but its not necessary. It doesnt sound like you fully understand the function of a firewall though, since whether a firewall is used or not has no bearing on what you asked.

I have to echo earlier sentiments here Kobem. These concepts are fairly basic networking concepts. Im no networking guru, and my understandings of these concepts are basic level and simplistic, but they still seem to outweigh yours. If this is the avenue you are pursuing, then you REALLY need to go back to basics and work up. What you appear to believe you understand, you obviously dont.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

maybe this is simple to you but it comes hard to me although i finished CCNA.
    i try just thinking and thinking on these most of the time my brain stops and weird questions
    begin occurring .

every time my brain stops , i come back to things i have learned . However , after a while
    same thing happens . how can i overcome this problem ?

15. Fergal1982

I dont really know what to say to that really. I've been one of your biggest advocates on these forums for letting you ask your questions unhindered, but you seem to be going over the same ground again and again without getting to grips with it. I would suggest possibly seeking out alternative texts (such as the previously mentioned N+ texts) on the subjects and reading them.

Are all the texts you are reading on these topics in english? It could just be that the language barrier is making your grasping of these concepts difficult, I would suggest getting texts in your own language to supplement your learning in these topics if thats the case.

16. Mr.Cheeks

Kobem,

Have you completed a CCNA course?
    How did you find it?
    Did you take the exam?
    Do you feel that you have learnt from the exam?
    How was the material and what material did you use?
    Did you do the CCNA in University?

Answer would be exteremly grateful..

17. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

just course! there are computer programming and network courses in my country
    but if you think about network you only find about cisco!

i didn't get the exam because WAN wasn't told us well so that i didn't take it.
    not in university !

18. Mr.Cheeks

did you learn anything from the course? or was it too advanced for you...

19. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am not being funny but I think you need to relearn and start with the basics i.e N+

You seem to think you know stuff but you seem very confused about the whole thing to be honest.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I learned many things even 2 months later to improve myself and for being better than that
    i continued to study . Also by asking my friend from my school and my course
    tried to solve my confusions .

He helped me about some topics though his lifestyle was different from me , contact has been
    interrupted later.

And i maintained it by myself. I have to succeed this up to understand and become an expert!
    one of the reasons for persisting on that is to fail software !

then i headed for network side

1- i liked it
    2- obligation of not to achieve software

To live in the world i have to be successful at least in one field. I have to earn money
    because of some certain reasons , i couldn't have a job . One of them is that the military
    service.

I am son of the two teachers and we have problems about money , my parents
    can not get retired because of me . In addition i have a sister going to high school

i am 23 years old , no girlfriend didn't pass in my life until now . I couldn't touch a
    girl and no kissing , do you understand these ?

besides , our regimen is under attack especially by managers and this irritates me too much
    and this bothers me , i am afraid ! our land is about to become like malaysia the fake islam
    country my sister is in danger . If these damn managers (the government) ends secularism
    they change the regimen completely , fascism will come.