Name on IT Certificates

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by krrishone, Nov 1, 2015.

1. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

Hey everyone

Wanted your opinion on name on IT certificates.

Since school all the way to uni i have used my First and Last name on certificates.
    Official IDs such passport and driving license have my First, Middle and Last names.

I plan to sit ITIL 2011 Foundation exam soon.

My question is shall i carry on using only First and Last names for certificates? My last name isn't common but there are handful of individuals that do share my full name.

Would there be any issues verifying my identity in future by using either of the name combos?

Thank you

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

One of my certs says my first and last name only, on another it says my first middle and last. Can't see how it would cause you any problems as your candidate info on the test centres website candidate portal will have your address on, if an employer was that paranoid you could show them that.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    krrishone likes this.
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

In the one circumstance where an employer has chosen not to believe the validity of my certifications, they weren't interested in any amount of evidence I offered to supply to the contrary.

krrishone likes this.
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Really? Then I assume the certificate issue he/she had was a coverup of a hidden issue they had with you?

krrishone likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

They didn't like the date of my certification as I took it in beta, I had to take the entire exam pool of over 400 questions, took over 4 hours, there was virtually no preparation materials, so taking a beta was harder.

They chose to take this as cheating / fake certification / fake CV. I offered to explain but they were not interested in :-

Certification paperwork
    Degree paperwork
    References
    15+ years experience

You cant please all the people all the time, and its wrong to assume that certification always pleases people.

It doesn't matter what's written on the cert, somebody will take issue with it, and they won't be interested to find out the details.

Having a full name is going to be better, but ultimately certifications are weak proof of skills and knowledge due to systemic cheating.

krrishone likes this.
  6. krrishone

krrishone Bit Poster

Thanks dmarsh and juelz for your views.

7. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Personally, I have always just gone with first and last names, skipping my middle name... but then I only have the A+ and Apple certs to my name so not many.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
    krrishone likes this.
  8. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

First and last names are fine mate, anyone asks just say "you want the truth? You can't handle the truth"

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
    krrishone likes this.
  9. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

In 30 years in IT I have never been asked to show my certificates

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
    krrishone likes this.