n00b Setup Alert. Put your kneepads on...

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Arroryn, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

HI!!!

Right. I've purchased an installed a Safecom SWAMR-54108 Wireless Router. My wireless network buddies have all managed to find, and connect to, the wireless network I create.

Now. How the feck do I share my internet? The router wants me to connect the ADSL line directly (honest, it's asked loads of times) but when I uninstalled all other drivers, AOL wouldn't detect this awful thing as a modem.

Help? I can provide technical info...when I know what I need to provide :oops:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My first guess is that AOL is the problem...but I digress. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

when you say "AOL wont detect" do you mean the set-up won't recognise the ADSL line is there?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Er - don't know the model - but routers aren't 'modems'.

Having looked it up it seems to be quite standard:

1) Connect the WAN port to the ADSL socket.
    2) Connect your PC ethernet card to the router.
    3a) Either use any supplied software to set it up, including your username and password, or
    3b) Browse to the default router address to do the same.

The problem may arise with AOL - which has spent most of eternity being non-standard.

See if there are any clues on www.adslguide.org.uk

Harry.

ADSL

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Personally I don't like connecting these ADSL modem/routers up with USB, it always means you have to use the software your ISP supplies you, which has the drivers for the modem and usually a lot of other branding junk too.

If it is possible to connect it using a network lead RJ45 plug, then that makes the job far neater as no drivers are needed. You would need the facility to be able to enter your connection credentials into the modem. This is usually done through a browser by connecting using the default IP address of the modem/router. This way the modem stays connected even if you switch your PC off. Also, for others to connect, they just need to be configured as DHCP clients or to put it simply, their TCP/IP properties need to be set to *obtain an IP address automatically". This assumes that the modem/router has DHCP server capabilities and most do and are ready to hand out IP addresses by default. For them to be able to access the Internet from your connection, they need the IP address of the modem/router as their *Default Gateway*. The DHCP server would do this automatically.

Note; The default gateway is the door out of your local network, hence any packets that are not deliverable within your LAN (local area network) will be directed to the exit door, otherwise known as the *default gateway*. Hence packets destined for the Internet will be sent to the modem/router if your client machines have been configured properly.

If for some reason you can't do this, you can always use XP's ICS (Internet connection Sharing). Google that if necessary to find a step by step. It is fairly easy to implement.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Arroryn

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I'll look at the configuration of the other PCs, and the connection sharing settings, before I cancel AOL. Though that's going to happen any day soon anyway.

I had the router connected with the RJ45, and was hooking to the internet through my Speedtouch USB modem. The router picked up on the signal, and said it was connected - it was just the other PCs on the network not picking it up.

But I may well be back :)

7. hbroomhall

Er - no! You put your old speedtouch on one side and don't use it. The new unit contains the modem. Connect the new unit to the ADSL socket in the wall.
    Having looked it up, it seems that only certain types of AOL accounts can have a router fitted (according to the note at www.adslguide.org.uk). The main one that is OK is called 'General'. Apparantly those marked for young people won't work like this.

Harry.

8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I can say this since I worked for them for a number or years and have first hand knowledge.

A O L <----- There's your problem!!!!!! :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  9. Arroryn

The Speedtouch is the only reason I'm getting on the net at the moment. I can't connect with the router. That's why I'm posting for help! I'm using my main account. There are no restrictions on it. I'm just looking at changing ISP.

10. hbroomhall

Connect the new router to the line and see what errors it is giving.
    You will need to log onto the router at it's given address with IE.

Your login name needs to be <screenname>@aol.com - that last bit is important!

As you don't say whether you looked at the guide pointer I posted, forgive me if I suggest things you have already checked!

Harry.