n00b ahoy!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Wires_are_bad, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Wires_are_bad

Wires_are_bad Nibble Poster

Hello people

So glad that I found this site :D

As a recent graduate in Business and I.T, I've been trying to decide what direction to take regarding careers. I havent been impressed with university as I havent really gained any 'real world' skills, rather just general stuff that possibly is useless.

Things that have been of use were the group projects, as working within groups was good practice for when I do eventually get a job that requires some form of group work.

Apart from general database work (such as MS access based) and networking, I cant say that Ive learnt a great deal about I.T that I can use in the real world.

Saying that, I understand that I.T is ever evolving, so you can never really stop learning :p which is why I want to take some exams (A+, N+, microsoft/Cisco based certified exams) to further my knowledge.

Networking or Database admin/maintenance is possibly the areas I want to progress in, what would the best starting point be? Ive read on various threads that A+ and N+ are a good starting point in general. Is this true?

There seems to be a wealth of info on this forum, which I'll be reading and hopefully will help me with my future goals.

Anyway, nice to be a part of the forum :D

Certifications: Bsc Business I.T (2:1)
    WIP: A+ and N+
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Good to have you aboard :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Wires. Welcome to CertForum. Are we related? :tongue

-Tripwire45

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Wires_are_bad

Yep, we're wirelessly related :blink :p

For the A+ exam, would anyone recommend this book (or cdrom):

"Mike Meyers Network+ Guide to Managing and Troubleshooting Networks".

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For the A+ exam I'd recomend an A+ book rather than a Net+ book. The favourite around here - for good reason - is the Meyers All-in-one A+ book.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

Hi Wires, and welcome to CF!
    While Mike Meyers is THE A+ guru, he rather sucks at networks. I would recommend the Sybex Network+ instead, http://tinyurl.com/kvmgb David Groth really knows his networks. If you can afford it, it is best to have more than one study guide, as the reviews at Amazon suggest. Good luck, the Network+ is a tough test, but the foundational knowledge for it is valuable in so many other certs you will have later! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! If you going for a+ mike meyer's a+ all in one is the best book you can use! Oh and get lots of hands on with an old pc!

Gd Luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate,

welcome to CF...

12. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

for databases you may want to look into the MCDBA.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  13. mrobinson52

mrobinson52 Security Maven Gold Member

I should have read more carefully before my first reply! Mike Meyers All-In-One A+ book is the best book for A+, and has been so for each version. The book I mentioned above is the best I know of for Network+.

I think you are wise to go for the certifications and real world and also to have the University degree, since that is what employers are looking for these days.

At a former site that no longer has their article database available, I wrote articles for the A+ newsletter, and wrote one called "Getting a Good Foundation" in which I set forth my reasons for believing that A+ an Network+ were both essential in preparing for any of the many paths in IT, and I still stand by that.

I recommend A+ first, since it gets you familiar with the hardware and OS troubleshooting and how to deal with a single PC, and then take the Network+ to learn the OSI and how to network all those PCs together. Network+ would assume you know about NICs and the other hardware covered in the A+, which is why taking them in that order seems most logical to me.

You have found a great site with great people to get advice, help, and sometimes a shoulder to cry on when you do not pass a cert test. Again, welcome! :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA:Security, Security+
    WIP: CISSP
  14. Wires_are_bad

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

Also thanks for the advice, I'll be ordering the book straight away as Im eager not to waste any time :p

Is there a way to donate some cash toward the forum or to whoever runs it? I havent got alot of cash but I'd like to contribute something when I get paid in a week or two.

15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Become a premium member is one way. You can opt for how long you pay for if the cash is a bit tight!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. Wires_are_bad

Cheers, just read the link titled "become a premium member". Will sort it once I get paid :D

17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009