N+ or MCDST?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by vp, Sep 27, 2010.

1. vp

vp Bit Poster

Hey, Ive just passed my A+ and have re-started my job hunt (after 3 months of 0 success). My goal is to get a 1st Line helpdesk job in the city as soon as possible. I am on limited time/funds and need to pick my next cert to beef up my CV. I know the usual recommended path is A+ -> N+ -> Microsoft but I just completed a degree in Computer Science where I had strong grades in Networking modules all 3 years - so I feel my limited time/money would be better spent on the MCDST.

Also Ive yet to see any mention of N+ in a job advert whereas I see MCDST quite often so Im edging towards doing the MCDST now and then N+ later.

What do you guys think?

Certifications: A+, N+, BSc CS
    WIP: MCDST
  2. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

If you do the Network+ first then you should have time to finish that by the end of year deadline for lifetime certification and still have time to do the MCDST before it is retired next year. If you try do the MCDST first you probably wouldn't have time to finish that and the Net+ by the end of the year.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  3. Haze

Haze Nibble Poster

If you're UK I wouldn't bother mate. Go for the MCDST. Never once seen N+ in a job ad. More of an American qualification. Might be useful to get the materials for personal knowledge gain though.

Certifications: MCSA (Windows 7), MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Windows 7), MCTS: Windows 7 & Office 2010 Deployment, Level 3 Diploma in ICT Professional Competence, Level 3 Certificate in ICT Systems and Principles, Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Professionals
    WIP: MCSA: Server 2012
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In that case you should be able to finish it quickly then. As mentioned above, if doneby the end of the year then it's a lifetime cert otherwise it has to be renewed every 3 years.

Then you can do the MCDST.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

The MCDST retires next year and if you can't squeeze both of them in then I would still do the Network+ for filling in gaps in your knowledge. The A+ and Network+ aren't going to get you a job as they are not sought after certs in the UK but still worth doing.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

So why are the A+ and N+ pushed so hard as an entry level cert for people looking to get into IT?

I don't understand why so many managers either don't know about the A+ or N+, or they just look down their nose at them.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. vp

vp Bit Poster

^ To be fair, I got a job spec through today and it said A+ and N+ on it.

Thanks guys for the advice, Ive decided Im going to bash out the Network+ quickly and then work on the MCDST.

Ive already started studying for it and alot of it is just brushing up on things I covered at Uni so should have that done within a couple weeks.

8. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

I havent seen one job spec ask for A+ or N+, and only a few MCDST...

Most say MCSA or MCSE....some even for helpdesk! Crazy!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA
  9. vp

vp Bit Poster

Yeh I think even though they may not ask for it, if its on your CV it can only do good.

10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Exactly this, the A+, N+ and MCDST are all useful on a CV. You won't see a lot of people asking for them but you can bet it'll make a difference to hiring managers if they see them there and have even the vaguest idea of what they are.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

In the UK at least is that they are not widely sought after by employers but I'm not sure if this is either a case of them not knowing about CompTIA or not interested in the certs. In my 7+ years in IT I may of seen about 3-4 jobs advertised that asked for it and even then it wasn't essential to the job applicants to have and only listed as a desirable.

They are great certs to start with as simply they are good for getting up to speed and filling in knowledge if your just starting out. After they go to a 3 year renewal I think that will be the death knell for the certs in the UK at least.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. trebor_88

trebor_88 Byte Poster

I think you would be better off spending your time and money earning qualifications employers seem to want.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCITP:EDST, MCTS:7
    WIP: VMware VCP 5, MCSE and CCNA