N+ or MCDST

Discussion in 'Network+' started by ericrollo, Feb 12, 2009.

1. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Should i do the N+ and get an MCP or just get the MCDST because i dont think i have enough time to get them both.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

What do you mean you dont have time to do both? Whats the rush?

Also, MCDST and Net+ are very different areas of study, what would help your most in your job role? (Or the job role you hope to get if your not working!)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. ericrollo

Well they are free as long as i do them this academic year.

4. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Do the DST imo.

N+ goes quite well with the A+, but on it's own won't look as good (imo).

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE
  5. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

It depends on what job you are heading into/already in?

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'd recommend knocking them both out, if they're free. Might mean sacrificing some playtime in order to study... but it'll be worth it.

Don't make the mistake of thinking it'll take the same amount of time to get either certification... the MCDST is two exams, while the Network+ is just one. So I'd recommend that you do as many of those three exams as you can.

Also, consider this... if you finally run out of study time, what's the risk of taking the exams without studying? After all, you said they're free... so what if you fail? It's not like a college transcript, where a failure will remain on your record... a failure simply means you don't (yet) get the certification.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ericrollo

They wont let me take the exams without taking a full blown course for funding reasons so it is quite limited.

8. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

So the exams aren't free? Or, are you saying that you've already paid for a course and you're just trying to decide which one?

9. BosonMichael

So what are your restrictions? Do you have to attend class daily and turn in homework and take quizzes before they'll allow you to you take the live exam? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. ericrollo

Yes basically but it is all free

11. BosonMichael

Time isn't free, my friend... nor is hassle. That said, if it's worth it to you, by all means, go for it! :)

If the courses take the same amount of time, it would probably make more sense to do the MCDST, as that's two exams, as opposed to a single Network+ exam.

12. Taita

Taita Nibble Poster

Just to jump in here, if your local education authority / college are paying for the exam / course you had better pull your weight.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: MCSE