N+ or CCENT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mart-1982, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Mart-1982

Mart-1982 New Member

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and was hoping you guys could help me out with some advise.

I'm currently working for BT selling data products, leased lines, MPLS networks etc. I'm looking at a change of career to go into IT with the ultimate goal of working in either Network pre sales or Network engineering.

I've just started self study for A+ with the Mike Meyers book as advised on here (thanks for that) once I have achieved the A+ i want to get a job in support /helpdesk to build up my relevant IT experience whilst continuing my studies.

After completing the A+ would you recommend studying the Network+ then CCENT or just going straight from A+ to the CCENT. Also what sort of work experience would be needed to get into the job roles mentoned earlier. I understand that certification and experience are equally important to be successful.

Your help and advise will be much appreciated.

Mart

WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

post approved and bumped :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My opinion is you should go for the N+ first as it will lay the foundations for you when going on to the CCENT

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=279788

The above thread from me might be usefull for you, myself as a aspiring IT'er am also in some doubts as to what I should study, I was advised to stay clear from cisco certification till after I landed a entry level job. And go for the Network+ & MCDST. Going for Network+ first seems the right way to go imo and should help you land a entry level job.

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Network+ first.

Difficult to do pre-sales consultancy with Cisco equipment when you havent worked with Cisco equipment. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Network+, then MCDST. Cisco's not gonna help you until you start being able to longingly gaze at Cisco routers in your own server room racks... and that's not likely in your first IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree. The CCENT is technology specific, added to that it expires after 3 years.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Mart-1982

Mart-1982 New Member

Thanks for the advise. I'm going to go for the N+ after the A+. In terms of getting my hands on some Cisco kit what is the best way to get into this? After getting experience on helpdesk what is the next step?

Cheers,

Mart

WIP: A+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Most people work in helpdesk until they can get a desktop support tech job where they can occasionally help out administering servers...
    ...until they can get a job administering servers where they can occasionally help out with network device administration...
    ...until they can get a job doing network administration.

Network admin is where you start touching the Cisco stuff, so when you become one of those "system admins who occasionally assists with Cisco stuff", that's the time to start the CCENT/CCNA.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!