N+ - MCDST

Discussion in 'Network+' started by greenbrucelee, Nov 8, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Can anyone tell me if the N+ will help in the MCDST exams or is it okay to do MCDST before the N+?

I ask this because after I do my A+ which hopefully I will have the spare cash to pay for at next month and want to know what to do next thats if I pass of course.

I am thinking if I can atleast get MCP under my belt then I will look a bit better to employers thats if I don't get the job I applied for last week.

Any suggestions welcome people :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I haven’t done the MCDST cert but from what I have read about it you shouldn’t have to do the N+ before as it just deals with the Windows OS. No need to know the OSI model! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Why get a MCP under your belt you mentioned in a earlier post how if a manager did not know what Comptia was they were poor managers and you would never want to work for one, so you may as well do the N+. But personally I think you are right and a MCP would look a lot better on your CV then N+.

Certifications: A few.
  4. Sparky

It’s because some HR peeps don’t have a clue about IT so you need the word “Microsoft” on your CV for it to be considered for the position you have applied for. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. greenbrucelee

Yep thats my thinking.

6. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

But that would mean they did not know what the Comptia was and you said you would not want to work for someone like that?

Certifications: A few.
  7. Sparky

You dont work for the HR staff mate :biggrin

8. greenbrucelee

The IT director at my place had never heard of compTIA but most IT directors/managers will have whilst I have had a few interviews since I changed my CV to say I was studying for A+ having atleast an MCP should get me more (hopefully).

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Depends entirely on your experience level.

Besides, I often recommend the MCDST for newbie techs... which includes the MCP. But I typically recommend the A+ and Network+ first. Do you NEED the Network+ for the MCDST? No, not really... but I'd still recommend getting it first.

Again, do what you will... this is just my advice. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. greenbrucelee

what I actually meant in the post the other day is I wouldn't work for an IT director/manager who did not know what certs were out there and what skills/knowledge they show someone has, because IT people should know this.

But as Sparky says HR people wouldn't know anything was good about a candidate for job unless it said Microsoft.

Most HR staff don't know their heads from their arse :twisted:

11. BosonMichael

Helpful hint: if you're having trouble getting your resume past a clueless HR department, bypass them... send the resume directly to the IT Director.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. greenbrucelee

Good Idea :thumbleft

Rep added not you need it :p

13. greenbrucelee

If I was to do an MCP 70-270 installing and cofiguring windows XP would that be beneficial or is that supposed to be for MCSA and too advanced at this stage?

14. Sparky

That exam covers Windows XP in a domain environment so IMO makes the exam slightly harder than the MCDST. Also you need to know about RIS servers and how they can be used deploy XP.

Why not get the A+ nailed and then take it from there? 8)

15. greenbrucelee

will do Sparky, hopefully (funds allowing)will be able to book both A+ exams for sometime next month, then either N+ or MCDST.

16. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

My advice - depends on what you are doing.

I've done the A+, and now in a 2nd line desktop support role (and have not a lot of hands-on experience with networks) I decided to go with the MCDST. It is more relevant to my job now, and as I'm not "collecting" certificates the N+ is an additional one, something that I don't need at the moment. (Hence my signature of certs I would like to do....N+ being at the bottom!)

From what I can remember about you GBL, you're in a non-IT role looking to break in - I would say:
    1) MS exam/cert is going to be noticed more than Comptia (unfortunately)
    2) MCDST is going to be more helpful when you're talking to a user. N+ I would have thought is going to be a "behind-the-scenes" syllabus - ie, nothing you can advise the user to do on their workstation over the phone or at their desk.
    3) we all advise people, do the certs you're in the job for. Difficult in your situation, but A+ and MCDST would indicate to me 1st line/2nd line desktop support role you were aiming for, A+ and N+, I wouldn't be too sure which role - and it doesn't show you know your desktop support stuff - which is mostly what is required for the foot-in-the-door job.

Aimed at everyone, so not just at you GBL :)
    I know its some way off and I say this will all due respect, and I'm not doubting your ability/intentions/anything! but after A+ and MCDST and possibly N+.... what happens if you still don't have that 1st job? Would you sit back and keep applying or would you get more certs at the same time???

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  17. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the advice

If I dont have a job in IT after the A+, MCDST and N+ I wont do anymore certs untill I have the relevant experience, I recently applied for a trainee technical adminstrator position and the closing date is tommorow so hopefully I will hear something about an interview shortly.

I am also going to write a lot of letters this weekend and print out my cv this weekend and send it to as many places as I can think of with the hope I get a job out of it.

18. BosonMichael

If you still don't have that 1st job, then the time you spend studying for more certs could be much better spent researching company profiles and targeting jobs and revising your CV and applying for those jobs. Make "getting a job" your "full-time job" until you get it. If you don't treat it as such... just applying here and there without any REAL focus... then you should expect mediocre results, according to the effort you applied. Be persistent and focused... and you'll likely break through much quicker.

19. BosonMichael

Yep... one step at a time, mate. Crawl, walk, run, fly.

20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just my tuppence on the original post. The MCDST only covers the very basics of network troubleshooting, so an N+ is certainly not necessary before hand, but wouldn't do any harm (as BM mentioned).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada