N+ at college

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Nursa, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

My local college are running N+, the course starts September 09 and finishes July 10 and costs £700.

My question is, does this seem like a long amount of time to pass this qualification? The lectures are once a week Tuesday 6pm-9pm.

I don't want to self study because I need a structure to follow. I might self study the A+ along side the N+ as I have a 2 year BTEC in computing and think I could handle that, as the A+ would be more brushing up on what I learnt at college with extra bits here and there. Is it wise to study 2 certs along side eachother? Or does it get confusing and best to do one at a time?

Thanks for any replies!

Certifications: BTEC in Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

If I just passed the N+ and had my BTEC on my CV, do you think that would that be enough to land a entry level networking / support / 1st line job?

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You should be applying for entry level jobs now.

No reason why you can’t study for the A+ and Network+ at the same time but try not lose focus on the Network+ as you have forked out £700 to do it.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

Apply for entry level jobs now? With my BTEC alone? I passed it over 4 years ago, and since then I haven't worked in IT and have no experience.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, some entry level jobs dont even ask for any qualifications. In some cases basic training is offered.

Even note down on your CV that you are studying towards the Network+ if you want to mention your cert plans.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

people seem to get into the mind set that having a qualification/certification is the only way you will get a job but it isn't.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

I think I am going to go ahead with the N+ at college and self study A+ along the way! This way I can concentrate on the N+ until the new Meyers A+ book comes out and study for the new A+ objectives, sound like a good plan?

I have made a thread in the training forum with regards to writing a CV and cover letter to break into IT with no experience as it has been years since I last wrote one. If you could leave any advise for me would be greatly appreciated! :D

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That depends on you and how you learn. For me, that would be an incredibly long amount of time.

There's a structure to follow inside every Network+ study guide. It's called the Table of Contents. :)

If you lack the motivation and determination to study a study guide, then unfortunately, you are likely to lack the motivation and desire necessary to be in IT. In IT, you've got to be constantly learning. You can't run off to a training course anytime you want to learn new stuff... employers will neither pay for it nor give you paid time off for it. You've got to master self-study methods if you want to succeed in IT. That said, I have faith that you can do it if you just set your mind to it.

And if you need a kick in the rear to keep you going, I charge $1 per session (see avatar). 8)

I'd recommend studying for each individually.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

I don't realy think its fair to presume that some one will lack motivation to make it into IT because they choose to go to college rather than self study. I realise self study is a big part of making it in IT further down the line which I am willing to do, but I haven't studied anything for 4 years or so now and need a routine just to get back into the swing of things, get me?

And if you need a kick in the rear to keep you going, I charge $1 per session (see avatar).

^ ?

So don't recommend to do the N+ at college and self study A+ along side?

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Then go ahead and call me unfair. But I've seen it again and again and again with people who decide to take a training course because they lack the motivation to self study... and they end up not succeeding in IT. To succeed in IT, you'll have to learn how to study on your own. I have yet to meet anyone who has succeeded in IT who hasn't.

Fair enough if you just want to get into the swing of things... but whether you self study now or later, you'll have to learn how to do it sometime.

Sorry, Nursa... just trying to help you out. You can follow the advice, or you can disregard it; doesn't bother me one bit either way.

My avatar says, "A swift kick in the butt: $1"

I wouldn't. But that's simply my recommendation based on 12 years of IT experience and several years of writing IT certification training products.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!