Mydoom author sorry for his sins...

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Feb 3, 2004.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Mydoom author sorry for his sins...</font>

A variant of the virus has a cryptic message in which the author appears to apologize for creating the infection. The MyDoom variant that joined the original virus in wreaking havoc on the Internet last week contains a cryptic message in which the author appears to apologize for the malicious code, security experts say.

The creator of what anti-virus experts say is the fastest spreading virus ever on the Internet signed MyDoom and MyDoom.B with "andy," and left the following message in the latter version: "I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry."

Full Story: informationweek.com

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. dreec
      dreec
    2. AJ
      AJ
      Ermm should this thread be going down this particular route. :offtopic

Whilst Virus writers could be called terrirists of sorts and you both have valid points there's no room for :box . We're all friends.

If you disagree then I'm gonna :cry:
    3. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      OK, Guys - let's reign this one in a bit here....

Firstly, @dreec - it has to be said that if you extend the logic that you are affording virus creators, then ultimately the above must hold true.

It was perhaps a harsh example Phil quoted, but it does illustrate the question in hand, ie Just because something can be done, does that me that it should be done, simply for the purpose of pointing out weaknesses on whatever system we are refering to ?

To return to the original topic, as an employee of an ISP, I understand both sides of the argument (or maybe more sides than 2). No IT staff in my place would dream of being caught out by a virus outbreak - nature of our job, fortunately.

Similary, in any work environment involving IT equipment - dreec, you are spot on ! Any weaknesses caused by poorly-trained users must be blamed on IT admins, no questions.

But I maintain my stance on the home user, be it the "twice-a-year-online" brigade, or the "savvy" user that knows the score. As for the latter category, they have only themselves to blame if their interest in this area does not teach them to implement good security. However, the "casual user" will more than likely switch off their PC, and think no more about the issue till later, when they need to e-mail "Auntie in Canada " again. BANG - prime candidate for infection !

The point is, regardless of your technical awareness, the virus has been written, and is in the wild. It will strike, and I am now facing the consequences.

dreec, to clarify the situation since we last "locked horns", our Mail Server was not actually infected, nor was it ever in danger of becoming so, but that out of the many users and sub-clients we host, the sheer volume of cases of the infection, coupled with the payload (ie mass-duplication of random e-mails) meant that our server didn't actually crash, but just could not handle the amount of smtp traffic generated.

We fully understand the financial implications of this, as already we are losing business as a result, but I can assure you that from this ISP at least's point of view - we would much rather maintain user confidence than cut corners on security to line our own (ie not my) pockets.

Many valid points have been raised over the last few days on this subject - I'm sure we all welcome this. At least it gives us all the chance to see it from everyone elses point of view.

I'll vote for that.
    4. Phil
      Phil
      AJ, as far as I'm concerned we're not fighting, I don't hold any ill feeling towards dreec at all, I thought we were just pushing and pulling the issue between us :) No harm being done and hopefully no offence being caused

Dreec, first of all let me say I never for one minute thought or meant to imply you would condone those terrorist actions. My point is that you do draw a line in the sand, where peoples freedom of action becomes objectionable. Both parties have the intention of harming others, they are both responsible for their actions and I condem both. I believe in everybodies right to freedom so long as it doesn't inflict on others.

to answer your questions NO to all of them, the way to lasting change is the peaceful route, taking up arms to enforce your point only ends in terrible bloodshed and misery for everyone.
    5. AJ
      AJ
      Phil - never thought for a mo that you were about to have fisticuffs. But you gotta admit the thread had taken a strange turn. still it has all made very interesting reading of everyones point of view.

I look forward to the next one. :D
    6. dreec
      dreec
      I am not dodging the issues raised by Phil or Jak nor the comments made but I feel this could very easily get way out of hand.
      (Believe me, I've read the post I had originally written!!)

I do not mean to cause any offence, nor did I ever mean to "lock-horns" with anyone. As a person many times I will argue a point I may not agree with just to get reaction and to get people thinking.

I feel very passoniately about freedom and free speech and thats why I love the Internet. I feel that there is a "bigger picture" with malicious code and can see how outbreaks could lead to regulation of this great untamed wilderness called the 'net. Especially if the media can get enough people to but into the "evil virus writer" belief.

Information can be transferred quicker than ever before, and this must scare the rocks off governments, and they must be desperate to control it. What better way than to use worms / virus's as the trigger.

Again, please accept my apologies if I have caused any offence to anyone it was never my intention.

Please bear in mind that I will ALWAYS defend myself and stand by any comment I make.

If everyone is in agreement I suggest SimonV locks this thread and we can all get back to IT certs and learning for the exams we all have coming up
      Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    7. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      dreec- I can speak for all concerned when I say that your comments are both welcome and healthy in the name of debate.

Normally, I would have followed my "Locked horns" comment with a :D emoticon, but given the gravity we have all brought to this debate, I thougth it inappropriate.

You need not apologise for anything that has been said, nor for any opinions raised as a result. The topic could have been locked at any time, but that didn't happen. Posts could have been deleted at anytime, but that didn't happen.

As I said from the start, this is how we do things here, and hopefully that won't find upset with anyone. The last thing we want is for a Member to stop posting because they felt their opinions were "against the grain".

Dreec - speak out as and when you see fit - if you do, you will be eternally welcome here :thumbleft
    8. AJ
      AJ
      :iagree

and big respect to everyone and the certforums mods for letting the thread go on.
    9. Phil
      Phil
      :) last words on the subject from me too

No horns locked and no apologies needed dreec

A sentiment most people round here will wholeheartedly agree with.
    10. dreec
      dreec
      For the record

Myself and Phil have finished our little debate, via PM. We both agreed that it could get out of hand and we both agreed that each of us had valid points. So we have both agreed to leave it as we have left it.

No harm done, no friendships broken, no lasting damage.

Thank you Moderators for allowing this thread to develop and take a somewhat unexpected turn.
    11. Jakamoko
      Jakamoko
      Well done, Guys :clap

Thread now locked