My Upsetting Situation - Please give me advise

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Adzmobile, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Hi Everyone,

So 2 months ago i managed to get a job with a top company and it has been brilliant. I have really been enjoying, the team is great and i have really managed to mould in with the company and get along with everyone. I have been learning alot of new technologies and skills and basically been doing very well.

Now, i was hired as a contractor and there was a permenant position available so while i been working hard to impress the bosses, the HR guys have been busy interviewing.

So my current situation is, the company want to keep me however have offered the job to this other guy who is supposed to be 'amazing' at support in this sector :x and they have offered me a 6 month extended contract and i am now going to be on payroll with the company.

What does this mean?? I have interviewed and they like me, so y give me a 6 month contract and put me on payroll?

Also the job was going between x and y amount of money, i have been offered 1k less than the lower range?

Isn't this unfair?? Am i cheapening myself if i accept?

I don't know what to do, should i stay? Am i being messed around? Shouldn't i of at least got x salary being the lower range not below the lower range?

Sorry some people may think grow up..some people dont have jobs, but im depressed about my situation, i tried really very hard for this position and still im in the dark again not knowing my future for certain and its a company i really want to be a part of.

Any idea.. any thoughts what i should do?

Thanks!

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI
  2. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

I'm sorry that you're going through this situation, but unfortunately in this climate the employer is the one with the power, and if they want to screw you in pay they can get away with it unless you have some ammunition that would force them to give you more money. Here's the way I see it. You can ask HR or someone above you that you feel comfortable with what the situation is. Just be frank and let them know that you are curious as to what are the possibilities of becoming permanent in the company. Who knows, they may be looking to put you on permanently but for whatever reason it has to wait. Regardless, cover your a$$. I have been doing contracts for the past eight months, and I am always trying to keep a step ahead and looking for opportunities that will become available once my current contract expires. At the end of the day, you are responsible for your career, and unless these guys are telling you point blank that you have a permanent position NOW, take whatever they say with a grain of salt. They only have a responsibility towards the bottom-line. You have to cover your rear, because you don't want to be out of options come six months if they decide not to keep you on for whatever reason. I hope it all works out for you!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You didn't get the job you applied for and they've offered you another. It's up to you whether you accept it or not.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I would just accept it and see how it goes. What have you got to lose?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

In effect they are taking advantage of you by doing this as they would have to entice someone from outside the company with more money. With you already being there there are also less costs in initial training and hand holding as well as 1K less salary to pay. If you don't take it then your contract is up soon anyway (if I understand it right).

If you can afford the 1K drop then suck it up and take the job. It's a 6 month extension which means that you have a job for the next 6 months at least. You can use this time to learn more and also look for another job paying more (with your new skills).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, would have to agree.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Look on the positive side - they've kept you on. That means they like you and recognise that you are making a contribution to the business. If you weren't, they would just let your contract expire and show you the door.

Being 'known' by the company when they are looking to recruit can sometimes be a double-edged sword. Yes, they know what skills and abilities you have, but they will also be aware of any shortcomings you have. Don't get me wrong, we all have them and we need to be aware of them. The chances are they are looking for someone that has something you don't - better people skills, higher level of education, knowledge of a particular technology, whatever. That's a business decision, not a personal one.

By all means try to find out what it is they feel is your weakness, but don't be confrontational about it. Look at it as a development thing. Rather than demand to know why you're not good enough, ask what skills they feel you could work on to have a better chance next time.

But like I said, it's actually a very positive situation. They could have just replaced you - instead they've given you the chance to stay. Be happy.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

For a start, it means that they liked this other guy more than you for the staff position. That doesnt mean they dont like you, nor that you wont get the next staff position to come along. It just means that the other guy was a better fit for what they wanted.

What you dont say, and others on the forum have made assumptions about, is whether this is actually a drop in the pay you are currently receiving. They have offered you 1k less than the job advertised, but is that more than you were previously on, or the same? At the end of the day, it makes no difference what the job was advertised at - you werent offered the job. All that matters at this point, is whether you think the money you are receiving is good enough to take the job. If it is, then take it, if it isnt, then move on.

There is no fair or unfair. There is exactly what you have negotiated with the company. So you get less than the other guy. Tough. If you arent happy with the salary - if you dont feel it reflects your worth, then either dont take it, or negiotiate another offer with them.

As I said, not necessarily. Were you offered the job? No. So what they offer you has nothing to do with that job. Look at the package you are being offered. Is it more than you were on before? Does it reflect your worth? Is it better than the alternative (which might include sitting around earning f*ck all whilst being unemployed entirely). If you dont like it, dont take it.

Then suck it up, take the job, and work on making them want to offer you a permanent position. Or dont. The choice is only yours.

Employers can and will attempt to employ you for as little as they possibly can. It's in the interests of a business to maximise profits. The balance is ensuring you get a fair wage against that. But that is your responsibility to negotiate. They have made you an offer that they think is fair. You can take it, leave, or try to negotiate, but there really is no such thing as "fair".

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Of course, as of October 2011, the advice changes: Linky. After then, you should be getting paid an similar pay to staff performing equivalent roles.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Adzmobile

Adzmobile Nibble Poster

Thank you everyone for all the feedback its much more than i expected!

I have thoughts about this alot and decided that i will go with the position its still a fairly long time and also after 8 months from initially taking the contract, i will be in a better situation to defend myself than i am currently. Also in terms of salary it is 1k above my previous rates so in that sence it is better.

I will be pretty much a permenant employee including all the benefits and holidays, being paid from company payroll except the fact it will be for 6 months. I will take the advice given and talk to my manager and try understand what my weaknesses are and why i wasnt good enough, i know the person they hired has 10 years experience whereas i only have 3, however this does not mean i cannot try and improve myself.

I dont think i can ask for a higher salary because i literally have nothing to back it up with, its better rate than my previous and i mean they have a perm guy now so they would just tell me to go away. So I will just 'suck it up' and take the opportunity i guess.

I think what i might do is try ask for training instead, so that if the company invest into me training wise and im fully upto speed i think that may give me a edge to become perm and also even if i don't then i am in a better situation when i go back into the market.

I will get my contract on monday so I shall keep you guys posted. But this has been very helpful and made me feel alot better

thank you all ! :)

Certifications: Commvault Administrator, CCNA, ITILv3, CCA for XenApp 6, CCAA for XenApp 6.5, CCA for XenDesktop 5, CCA for NetScaler 9.2, CCA for XenServer 6,VMware VCP5, VSTP 5, HP SMB Storage, Citrix Certified Enterprise Engineer (CCEE), EMCISA, VCAP-DCA
    WIP: DCUCI